Coped Cantors during EF Mass
  • Hey everyone, this is my first post here.

I was just wondering what the rules were for having male cantors in copes and singing from the sanctuary during Mass in the EF. Can this happen at all feasts or only at the major ones? I have seen it done on big feasts such as the Easter Vigil and Whitsun Vigil (pre-55) but never on ordinary Sundays. Where could I find sources on the matter?

Thanks.
    Thanked by 1Jehan_Boutte
  • I would consult the FSSP with this. This is one of the reasons they exist. I only know that it’s allowed on certain feast days.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I would suggest contacting the ICKSP, rather than the FSSP: their charisms are slightly different, as is their praxis.

The Canons of the Institute are a religious community where this type of liturgical style, with full choir ceremonies, which has its origin in Monasteries and Cathedrals, is utilized.

The FSSP function really as parish priests, and have the variety of liturgical ideas that all parish priests have: Some enjoy a long Solemn High Mass with Palestrina ordinary, others prefer Low Mass and get cranky if anyone other than the server says "Et cum spiritu tuo".
    Thanked by 1JonathanKK
  • madorganist
    There's a previous thread here:
    https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/9560/proper-use-of-the-cope-organistchoir-vestments/
    I'm not inclined to look through the whole thing, but I think the cope is reserved to one who has been tonsured, per some decree, perhaps PCED.
  • This is but of peripheral (if that) concern here, but the wearing of copes in the Sarum Use every high mass by various personages was normative. Even the four choir boys who intoned Alleluya, from atop the rood loft, were vested in copes. Of course, this doesn't have real reference to the question at hand.
  • The wearing of copes by cantors, even lay cantors, is a French custom (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LuLoVvWNp4 ). As such, it is not technically part of the ceremonial of the EF. With that said, one should not make this a bigger issue than what it is; I would not object to see lay cantors vested with copes for greater occasions.
  • Beautiful, Jehan! Many thanks for that. when and where was it?
    Thanked by 2Jehan_Boutte tomjaw
  • Thanks! This is the Seminary of the Communauté Saint-Martin, in Evron, France; last year's First Vespers of Palm Sunday, sung according to the "Gregorian Hours" (Heures grégoriennes), which is an Antiphonary for the modern Roman Breviary, published by the same community.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • a_f_hawkins

Fortescue on Pontifical Mass at the Throne:
    four copes for the chaplains or servers who will hold the book, scotula, mitre, and crozier, the veils for the crozier and mitrebearers^
    ^ They wear these veils under their copes

Copes are not so much a sign of eclesiastical status, more a mark of who is doing what - much more abundant in the Office than at Mass.
  • Ah, alright. I was not thinking about this. Yes, having servers vested with copes for Pontifical Mass is very traditional, and can be seen just about everywhere.
  • MatthewRoth
    but I think the cope is reserved to one who has been tonsured, per some decree, perhaps PCED.

Technically, yes, but this is observed in the breach and has been for some time, at least where copes are used. I doubt that only tonsured clerics sang in copes at St George's, Sudbury, though I'm open to correction, and I know that they don't at Saint-Eugène in Paris. Now, if a pastor had a stable of seminarians and instituted ministers (setting aside the recent changes…), I'd be fine reserving it to them, but if not, then wearing a cope isn't so bad.

That said, copes were reserved to the archpriest and the pontifical assistants at your usual Roman rite Mass (by Roman rite, I mean the curial/Franciscan rite); they only were used in the office otherwise, but oddly, they weren't fussy. You had two coped assistants normally on feasts but four or six depended less on the feast and more on whether the bishop's pontificating or whether or not it's a feast of the highest rank, whereas Sarum had a particularly complex system. So, for example, St Walburge's in Preston has six coped assistants for patronal feasts and the like, despite not being a cathedral. Further, recently, Vespers had no ceremonies or at least no assistants on ferial days… except where this wasn't the custom. The ICRSP sang Vespers of a green feria in August with six assistants last year because a bishop was visiting for the general chapter.

Also, and not to be uber-pedantic, the cantor (as a function) isn't necessarily the coped assistant (though he may be a cantor according to the trad Pontificale Romanum), and he's not supposed to be the same person if the choir is large enough; you'll hear this if you watch Vespers from SESC.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw