Salve Pater Salvatoris verses
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Does anyone have all the verses for the hymn Salve, Pater Salvatoris? This is a hymn for the Feast of St. Joseph, March 19. I have looked through a number of old Catholic hymnals, Liber's, Gradual's plus a few other sources, however they haven't been fruitful. Google searches are also unproductive. In most of the hymnals, the first 3 verses are the same but by the 4th verse I see differences. Usually the 4th verse begins "Per Maria tuae Matris," however, in other hymnals like the American Catholic Hymnal 1913, for the 2nd verse "Pium Pius te Patronum," or in the Catholic Hymnal 1920 (Hacker), for the same 2nd verse, "Cum Maria conversari,"

I suspect there are more than 4 verses and editors are culling verses from a source I can't seem to find. Any help would be appreciated.
  • ServiamScores
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ServiamScores
    From what I can find, this seems to come from Adam of St. Victor, possibly one of his Sequences. I had a book (pdf, of a book, actually) of his sequences but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else can point us to a link for that.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Thanks ServiamScores, I knew it was based on the work of Adam of St. Victor's "Salve Mater Salvatoris," and it seems to me there was another topic that I saw on the forum that pointed to a pdf. I'll go search the forum and see what pops up.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Well I found what I was looking for on the forum but it just adds to the confusion.
    1043 x 795 - 176K
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Thanks tomjaw. The database is just a listing correct? It doesn't point to any music or text does it?

Here is a copy of text from Oldhymns. Again the verses are different.

1811 x 2810 - 2M
  • tomjaw
    @Don9of11
    The Cantus database, is still being completed. So some entries will have links to the online manuscripts, some of these will also have the text and music transcribed.

If there is no link the manuscript may be online, as people are scanning and uploading them on a regular basis, you will just need to do a search for the manuscript.

So looking at the Salve Mater, here is a link to a manuscript,
    Title : Missale Parisiense.
    Author : FORTUNATUS (s. Venantius), ep. Pictavensis. Auteur du texte
    Publication date : 1201-1300

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b6000450z/f572
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Actually, I'm looking for Salve Pater Salvatoris, but I understand your explanation.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Adam of St Victor has a sequence Salve mater but not a Salve pater in Wrangham. The March 19th feast of St Joseph seems to have become universal only in 1570.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • tomjaw
    The Sarum use has no sequence for St. Joseph, Cantus Varii a book of Franciscan sequences has nothing.

Now we are left with a search of the Analecta Hymnica...

Another index has nothing,
    http://cantusindex.org/feast/14031900
    http://cantusindex.org/feasts/2926
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • a_f_hawkins
    St Joseph seems to have been popular earlier in Sicily and Southern Italy, and the Cantus database has little, or nothing, from there.
    Nothing in Analecta 48/49 or 54/55.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Don9of11