Missing Office of Readings Antiphons for Palm Sunday
  • IsaacTeng
    Hello everyone,

Blessed Lent! My friend and I may be singing the Office 'privately' during Holy Week. However, I've just noticed that for some strange reason, the OCO 1983 does not specify what Antiphons in Latin should be sung for Office of Readings on Palm Sunday. Is this some thing the OCO 2015 has 'solved'? Any help appreciated.

God bless you all,
    Isaac
  • IsaacTeng
    Hi again,

In fact...I have noticed that the entire week until Good Friday has no specification as to what should be sung at the Office of Reading's antiphons.

Isaac.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    It seems that for the Office of Readings during Holy Week, you follow Hebdomada II:

Inv. Christum Dominum pro nobis tentatum
    H. Pange lingua...certaminis

A1: see Hebdomada II
    A2: see Hebdomada II
    A3: see Hebdomada II

Except for Thursday, when the psalms and antiphons can be taken from Friday of week III.

Good Friday:
    Inv. Christum Dei Filium

A1: Astiterunt reges terrae
    A2: Diviserunt sibi
    A3: Vim faciebant

Holy Saturday:
    Inv. Christum Dominum pro nobis passum

A1: In pace in idipsum
    A2: Caro mea
    A3: Elevamini
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen DCM
  • chonakchonak
    The Liturgia Horarum 2000 gives some antiphon texts for Palm Sunday in the Psalterium. For example, at pp. 985-7 of the Lent/Easter (Latin) book:
    [Ant. 1] Domine Deus meus, confessionem et decorem induisti, amictus lumine sicut vestimento.
    [Ant. 2] Eduxit Dominus panem de terra et vinum laetificans cor hominum.
    [Ant. 3] Vidit Deus cuncta quae fecerat, et erant valde bona.

• smvanroodesmvanroode
    The Liturgia Horarum 2000 gives some antiphon texts for Palm Sunday in the Psalterium.

These are the antiphons for Sunday of Week II, as mentioned above. To be complete (refering to the 2015 OCO):

Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord:
    A1: Confessionem en decorem
    A2: Domine, Deus meus
    A3: Quam magnificata

Monday in Holy Week:
    A1: In tua iustitia
    A2: Faciem tuam, Domine
    A3: Diligite Dominum

Tuesday in Holy Week:
    A1: Revela Domino
    A2: Iunior fui et senui
    A3: Spera in Domino

Wednesday in Holy Week:
    A1: Ut non delinquam
    A2: Non sis mihi
    A3: Expectabo nomen tuum

Thursday in Holy Week:
    A1: Extende Domine or: Zelus domus
    A2: Confundantur or: Consalantem me
    A3: Memento, Domine or: Quaerite Dominum

See for all antiphons (especially those that are not in the older or modern Solesmes chant books): http://antiphonale.net/OCO/Psalterium/ by Joerg Hudelmaier.
    Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen
  • IsaacTeng
    Thanks friends!

@smvanroode:

It seems that for the Office of Readings during Holy Week, you follow Hebdomada II:

Inv. Christum Dominum pro nobis tentatum

A1: see Hebdomada II
    A2: see Hebdomada II
    A3: see Hebdomada II

Except for Thursday, when the psalms and antiphons can be taken from Friday of week III.

I suppose this instruction is in the OCO 2015? Just need to know if I misread something in OCO 1983 or it was not there at all.

Once again, thanks for the reply.
    Isaac
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I suppose this instruction is in the OCO 2015? Just need to know if I misread something in OCO 1983 or it was not there at all.

Indeed. 2015 OCO reads: Feria V. Off. Lect. Psalmi cum suis antiphonis sumi possunt e feria VI hebdomadae III.
  • IsaacTeng
    Also, it seems rather interesting that unlike the older use where Maundy Thursday would have proper Matins antiphons, somehow only the Office of Readings for Maundy Thursday in the OF gets 'left out' of this 'proper' mentality. Lauds for Maundy Thursday as Feria V seems to have proper antiphons for psalms and the Benedictus. I wonder what is the 'wisdom' behind this? Anyone want to guess?

Isaac.
  • joerg
    Meanwhile I've added Advent, Christmas Tide, Lent, and Eastertide to antiphonale.net. The URLs are
    antiphonale.net/OCO/DeTempore/Adventus,
    antiphonale.net/OCO/DeTempore/Nativitatis,
    antiphonale.net/OCO/DeTempore/Quadragesimae and
    antiphonale.net/OCO/DeTempore/Paschali

Palm Sunday would be found in Quadragesimae as
    6Q11V1, ..., 6Q12VM
    [meaning 6th week of Lent (Q), Sunday (1), First Vespers (1V), Antiphon 1 resp.
    Second Vespers (2V), Antiphon for the Magnificat (M)]
    Thanked by 2smvanroode DCM
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Joerg, great work! Do you have a page where links to all these sections are collected? I would like to link to your work with a single url...
  • joerg
    www.antiphonale.net
    Thanked by 1IsaacTeng
  • IsaacTeng
    Meanwhile I've added Advent, Christmas Tide, Lent, and Eastertide to antiphonale.net. The URLs are
    antiphonale.net/OCO/DeTempore/Adventus,
    antiphonale.net/OCO/DeTempore/Nativitatis,
    antiphonale.net/OCO/DeTempore/Quadragesimae and
    antiphonale.net/OCO/DeTempore/Paschali

Palm Sunday would be found in Quadragesimae as
    6Q11V1, ..., 6Q12VM
    [meaning 6th week of Lent (Q), Sunday (1), First Vespers (1V), Antiphon 1 resp.
    Second Vespers (2V), Antiphon for the Magnificat (M)]

Fantastic! Thanks so much on behalf of the world!
  • IsaacTeng
    I guess the only thing that is not covered by Joerg's wonderful links and scores are the Sanctoral Cycle and Commons?
  • joerg
    Plus the Sunday’s „per annum“ and most of the antiphons for the Office of Reading. I‘m currently working on both. The Sanctorale will be added once Mons. Turco has published his final two volumes with Propers and Commons of the Saints. (Propers has been announced for early 2021, Commons for later this year)
  • IsaacTeng
    I've been trying to find Mons. Turco's published scores online. I once saw it but have since lost the link. Can you help me?

Isaac
  • IsaacTeng
    Thursday in Holy Week:
    A1: Extende Domine or: Zelus domus
    A2: Confundantur or: Consalantem me
    A3: Memento, Domine or: Quaerite Dominum

joerg
    I went to Consolantem me on gregobase. Not finished?
  • joerg
    The gabc code is there on gregobase, but for some reason it's not being compiled.
    I've attached my local copy.
  • joerg
    centrogregoriano is indeed the home page of the "Centro di canto gregoriano e monodie Jean Claire di Verona". But infact it's entirely devoted to Alberto Turco's work. The list of publications is incomplete. There are by now 4 volumes of the Antiphonae et Responsoria. Vol. 3 contains the Psalterium, vol. 4 the Sundays and Sollemnities of the Lord "per annum". Mons. Turco has finished the 5th volume "Proprium Sanctorum" but last time I checked (about 2 weeks ago) it wasn't published yet. The 6th and last vol. will contain the Common of the Saints.