Dealing with a Particular Ear Worm
  • I hope this will be my last post on Gather Us In, and I'm certain others will be just as glad, if not more so. For some reason my singing this hymn is like watching a train wreck. I want to stop but I just can't.

Might the lines (depending on the verse) that read

"Gather us in the (rich and the haughty), gather us in (the proud and the strong)"

be changed?

For example,

Gather us in, the short and the squatty, gather us in the tall and the lean.

or

Gather us in, the overachievers, gather us in all slackers and such.

or

Gather us in the excellent students, gather us in the nerds and the jocks.

I don't know why but this came to me whilst I was thawing scallops and peeling and deveining shrimp for tonight's dinner.

Thanks for understanding.

• CCoozeCCooze
    Yes, I'm sure they can be filled with any number of shortcomings or cardinal/deadly sins.

"Gather us in, all we with shortcomings, gather us in, for we all have faults." *shrug*

Once again, something to maybe help you meditate at home, but not necessarily Mass-worthy.
    Maybe prelude music to a penance service...
  • Maybe prelude music to a penance service...

Surely, Corinne, listening to this piece (especially for Packard Girl) would be the penance itself?
  • CharlesW
    I'll repost my parody of it. It has earned me genuine enmity in some camps but I don't care.

Gather us in the old and the flaky
    Gather us in the hippies of yore.
    Gather us in the senile and kinky
    We were the young in 1964.

Gather us in on the Edmund Fitzgerald
    Gather us in on the floor of the sea.
    Slosh us around in Davy Jones locker
    Plenty good fishes for you and for me

Tra la la la la la la (interlude)
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Elmar Carol
  • francis
    Thats a very handsome interlude, Charles... should copyright it before someone publishes it and includes it in a hymnal which we will all regret.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CCoozeCCooze
    listening... would be penance

As I have the great pleasure of not actually being familiar with the piece in question, I will trust your judgement on the matter.
  • Ah, another one to join "Earth and all stars" for the fun of making up new stanzas.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ghmus7
    Some if you may remember the website " moratorium on the music of Haugen and Haas.
    It was full of such parodies and was side splitting. I had a number of parodies up at one point.
  • Does this website still exist?
  • Liam
    Not no mo', unless you go mining in the WayBack Machine. It was born, IIRC, in the early months of 2004.
  • I was a charter member of the association, or very nearly so.
  • CharlesW
    Haas, these days, is like an ancient Egyptian heretic. His name has been chiseled off and eradicated from everything.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • francis
    ...and to think we took up the hammer and chisel decades ago and we were cancelled even then.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Carol
  • ghmus7
    The hilarious thing but also sad is that the parodies were usually of much better literary quality than the originals!
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Carol