Lenten Gospel Acclamation
  • The church i am currently working at currently uses Respond and Acclaim but I would like to find a more penitential gospel acclamation for the season of Lent. I've looked at the David Hurd "Orbis factor" Lenten Gospel Acclamation as well as some of Theodore Mariers lenten gospel acclamations. I'm wondering what has worked most effectively for others on this forum.
  • rich_enough
    The one in Latin from the Parish Book of Chant (2nd ed., #7, p. 8) has worked well for us.

My adaption for the English text is attached.
  • I see the "Parish Book of Chant" has the "Miserere" as an option for a Lenten Gospel acclamation. I have never seen this anywhere, but it looks good. How about using it in English?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    See this thread for my Lenten Gospel Acclamation.
  • Here's one I've whipped up for our parish this year.

There's also a practice video to learn the parts here: https://youtu.be/YEuHa2ATDCs
  • rich_enough
    The "Miserere" functions as a Tract, which may be sung in place of the Gospel Acclamation.
  • MarkB
    I'm using one from Fr. Weber's Gradual for Lent and Easter (attached).

Specifically, the one I chose is #541 and I paired it with the mode II psalm tone for the acclamation verses (attached), which is almost identical to the melody for the acclamation itself.

There are plenty of options in the first week of Lent to choose from in Fr. Weber's gradual; a different melody each day of the week.
  • Nisi
    These are all so nice! And not a metrical one among them :) How far we've come!
    I used the "Miserere" for our Lenten Gospel acclamation for years, and everyone liked it. The congregation's repetition of "Miserere" is quite lovely. It is No. 8, p. 8, in the Parish Book of Chant (https://media.musicasacra.com/books/pbc_2nd.pdf)
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • In Singing the Mass (Solesmes, 2011) are a couple of settings, both in English and Latin. The fourth option mentioned here is not an official text (see Ordo Lectionum Missae #223, p. 129)

Jeff Ostrowski had a couple of nice settings, with the verses for each Sunday written out with organ accompaniment: http://archive.ccwatershed.org/media/pdfs/14/07/08/14-44-29_0.pdf

The Lumen Christi Missal has some simple chant settings by Adam Bartlett.
    480 x 640 - 117K
    480 x 640 - 121K
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • Are we still allowed to use the text "Praise and honor to you, Lord Jesus Christ?"
  • a_f_hawkins
    The current approved versions in England&Wales are

Acclamations
    Praise to you, O Christ, king of eternal glory!
    Praise and honour to you, Lord Jesus!
    Glory and praise to you, O Christ!
    Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!
  • @ a_f_hawkins
    Do you know the approved translations for the U.S.? It seems like the only approved translation is "Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory."
  • a_f_hawkins
    I have no idea whether this is correct, but OCP says (with my emphasis added)
    Options for lenten acclamations

The following is a list of the eight options available for the Lenten Gospel Acclamation which are not found in the official translation of the Roman Missal, Third Edition, but in the Lectionary. You will find the verses for the Lenten Gospel Acclamation where you might expect to within the Sunday or Weekday Lectionary. However, if you are looking for the following eight options for the refrain within the Lectionary you will need to open your Weekday Lectionary to the first Monday of Lent and turn back one page.

Glory and praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!
    Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, Wisdom of God the Father!
    Glory to you, Word of God, Lord Jesus Christ!
    Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God!
    Praise and honor to you, Lord Jesus Christ!
    Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory!
    Marvelous and great are your works, O Lord!
    Salvation, glory, and power to the Lord Jesus Christ
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen