Passion reading in electronic dialog format
  • Does anyone know where I could find the Passion reading for Palm Sunday and Good Friday 2021, in dialog format electronically to be used in a worship aid? The USCCB site only has the narrative version. Thank you.
  • I'm confused. What are you trying to find?
  • a_f_hawkins
    The Gospel marked up like this -
    Gospel
    Mark 14:1-15:47
    The Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark
    Key: N. Narrator. ✠ Jesus. O. Other single speaker. C. Crowd, or more than one speaker.
    N. It was two days before the Passover and the feast of Unleavened Bread, and the chief priests and the scribes were looking for a way to arrest Jesus by some trick and have him put to death. For they said,
    C. It must not be during the festivities, or there will be a disturbance among the people.
    N. Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper; he was at dinner when a woman came in with an alabaster jar of very costly ointment, pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the ointment on his head. Some who were there said to one another indignantly,
    C. Why this waste of ointment? Ointment like this could have been sold for over three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor.
    N. and they were angry with her. But Jesus said,
    Leave her alone. Why are you upsetting her? What she has done for me is one of the good works. You have the poor with you always, and you can be kind to them whenever you wish, but you will not always have me. She has done what was in her power to do: she has anointed my body beforehand for its burial. I tell you solemnly, wherever throughout all the world the Good News is proclaimed, what she has done will be told also, in remembrance of her.
    I can't see an NAB version though.

You could do it through Universalis, I think, but you would violate the terms of the license (because of copyright).
  • Yes, that is what I am looking at. The Passion readings as published in several missalettes, with the various speakers parts.

What are others planning to do for Palm Sunday and Good Friday this year, since hymnals and missalettes are largely forbidden currently. Will the congregation have a way of participating, or will the priest read the Gospel alone, or will one person be the "Crowd" voice?
  • Liam
    Despite how missalette publishers design it, the 1988 Circular Letter on the Celebration of the Paschal Feasts reserves the proclamation of the passion to the priest and readers/singers, not the congregation.
  • tomjaw
    This is one way to deal with the crowd parts, 4 unsocially distanced singers... problem solved (at least for us!) https://www.uma.es/victoria/pdf/Pasion_San_Mateo.pdf and https://www.uma.es/victoria/pdf/Pasion_San_Juan.pdf
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • a_f_hawkins
    Yes, but it's a fairly low key remark in translation "should be read in the traditional way ...", and the document paschale solemnitatis is no longer on the CDWDS active website so I can't check the Latin easily.
  • Liam
    You can take it from the general principle that the readings are proclaimed by ministers, not the congregation. Add to it the general principle that inviting the congregation to have to follow the text as a script they are doing a script reading of is orthogonal to the nature of the proclamation of the Gospel. It's a terrible practice that should be put out of our misery.
    Thanked by 2mattebery CCooze
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The English is here, #33. As pointed out there are the various wordings "is to be" and "should", and it would be terribly sad if anyone took "three persons" so literally as to to exclude four-part polyphony.
  • What are others planning to do for Palm Sunday and Good Friday this year, since hymnals and missalettes are largely forbidden currently. Will the congregation have a way of participating, or will the priest read the Gospel alone, or will one person be the "Crowd" voice?

In all my years as a Catholic I’ve never had something to assist me worship on these days, with exception of my hand missal in the Latin Mass. We just stood there and followed along by listening.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • a_f_hawkins
    " followed along by listening. " ¿ without referring to your hand missal ?
    Are you suggesting there is some sort of difference between a hand missal and the same text in a misalette, or in an order of service.?
  • Liam
    There is something very different, experientially, in following the Passion text by eye waiting to play one's scripted part.
    Thanked by 2CCooze MatthewRoth
  • Thank for you all the interesting and informative comments and opinions. Nevertheless, it is not within my authority to alter the longstanding practice in this parish, and so my charge is to produce a worship aid to enable this. I have found a way to do so, and so my issue is resolved.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Liam I agree, I have a long standing preference for listening to readings. Over the years I have experienced pretty much every way of participating in the passion narratives except being a singer. Best was listening to it sung from the pulpit in Westminster Cathedral. Bad experiences, unrehearsed readers with poor microphone technique, can only be mitigated by having the text to read for myself. Worst was being pressganged as Other and finding we three had differently edited copies!