Tones for the Gloria Patri at Vespers
  • Hey there: I was singing through the antiphons for Vespers for a Solemnity and I realized I had not asked a question which had crossed my mind before, and I haven’t done this in a while. There at the end of each antiphon is the familiar e-u-o-u-a-e. I’ll admit I haven’t looked thoroughly, though I did give it a decent go in the Liver Usualis. I didn’t see any Gloria Patri tones specifically for Vespers or for the Hours. Do I just use the ones for the introit at the front of the book? I have a fairly good capacity for missing the side of a barn, So I may have missed something obvious.

Many thanks. Kenneth
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    The Gloria Patri etc of the psalm should reflect the mode in which the psalm is sung, when it comes to “euouae” unless otherwise inscribed should be sung as found at the beginning of the Liber. The feast day should dictate which modes and psalms are used for Vespers, it might be some flipping around in the Liber, but it gets easier with more experience.

Hopefully that’s helpful enough.
  • Thanks. So I use the Introit settings. There’s not another set of melodies lurking somewhere that I missed? Of course, one should always use the indicated modes.

Many thanks.
  • SalieriSalieri
    No, you do not use the Introit Tone for the Gloria Patri at Vespers...those are only for the Introit (and Communion, if verses are sung) at Mass.

In the Divine Office the Gloria Patri is sung to the same psalm-tone as the rest of the Psalm; the euouae at the end of the Antiphon actually gives the ending of the psalm-tone for all the verses of the Psalm.

Also, Office Tones are different (simpler) than Mass Tones, except the Solemn Mediant cadence *may* be used for the Benedictus at Lauds and Magnificat at Vespers, though the Final Cadence is always the ending specified by the euouae at the end of the Antiphon.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • SalieriSalieri
    Look for the section in the Liber entitled "Cantus Ordinarii Officii". In my book (no. 780, imprimatur in 1928, Latin-only) this begins on pg. 107.

There is also a section entitled "Vespertini Psalmi per Tonos distributi,..." which gives the Psalms used at Vespers (for Sundays and Saints) in all of the tones, with the texts pointed for singing. In my book this begins on pg. 133.
  • euouae..

In case anyone doesn't know, these vowels are, in fact, representative of the text at the end of the Gloria Patri (aeculorumAmen)

The end of every verse finishes the same way, so once you have the tone identified (7c, for example) you have the whole thing figured out.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    I stand corrected Salieri...Thanks
  • tomjaw
    To see the differences in the Psalm tones this programme is great,
    http://bbloomf.github.io/jgabc/psalmtone.html
    See the top left hand box for the different tones and terminations plus the option to have the solemn version.