Impressive EF Liturgy in Austria
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I was thinking of many wonderful liturgical discussions in the past on this forum when I saw this video today and thought it might be of interest for two reasons.

First, although it is the first sung Mass of an SSPX priest, it is said in the diocesan cathedral with the Bishop of Linz present in the sanctuary. There are over 400 people present and there were also, according to news reports, 400 people outside in attendance.

Secondly, although it has been sometimes said that there is little or no active participation of the people at a traditional Latin Mass, one of the main things that strikes one about this video is the way in which the whole congregation sings the Ordinary of the Mass antiphonally with the schola, thus giving a wonderful example of the fulfillment of not only the hopes of the preconciliar Liturgical Movement, but also of Sacrosanctum Concilium, which taught that the faithful be taught to say or sing those parts of the Mass that pertain to them.

My deepest gratitude to the FSSPX in Europe for presenting a template of renewal capable of transforming and giving new life to the whole Church.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS0O2l1iw38
  • I'm only a few minutes in and I've teared up multiple times already. Very beautiful.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Elmar
    Media speak about restricted attendence due to covid-19 measures: 300 inside the church + 150 outside; 700 would have been invited otherwise (link). Still quite packed though, even with the very low infection rates last July.

Btw this church is dubbed 'Dom' by the local people but is not a cathedral (nor even a basilica) but simply the parish church of Niederkappel. Peculiar that the bishop is present but doesn't behave bishop-like at the entrance and exit processions... worth noting nontheless at this occasion. (Is this to make sure he oversees everything?)
    The (German) Te Deum gives me a final thrill - especially as we here haven't had any congregational singing since February. What a pity that they merely sang 3 out of the 11 stanzas... corona infection risk only increases logarithmically.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Perhaps congregational singing is an efficient way to achieve rapid herd immunity. LOL.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw CCooze sdtalley3
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thank you for the corrections. More information about the Mass here: https://gloria.tv/post/t8YzTtXnc7973JFV2DcwhZekc
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Elmar
    Thanks Julie!
    That's another one though, two years earlier in 2018; in a regular church of the diocese of Linz as well.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Elmar, thanks for the second correction! I got this so mixed up! Sorry for any confusion. I used Google translate to get the numbers from the same article you posted. It says "young pastor celebrates First Mass in Muhlviertel Cathedral" and then it said "some had to celebrate outside" which I thought said "same" had to celebrate outside. German (and reading dates) is not my forte, obviously. : )

I do love the vestments and aesthetics in the second video. Incredible.
    Thanked by 1Elmar