Of the Father's Love Begotten: recording, voice and piano
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Of The Father's Love Begotten is my favorite Christmas hymn.

Just for my own fun/prayer I recorded myself singing all ten verses.

Then I started playing around with accompaniment and I ended up, somewhat accidentally, composing what I might describe as a jazz-inspired impressionistic art-song arrangement for voice and piano. I really like it, and I think it might be one of the better pieces of music I've composed.

If you like that sort of thing, you might like this. (If you don't like that sort of thing, you might consider simply not listening to it instead of telling me all the reasons you don't like that sort of thing.)

I am open to specific and constructive criticism about the compositional work, but - just for my own mental health - try to be kind first. I'm feeling pretty 2020ish these days and working on this was a bright spot of actual worship in an extended period of pretending that watching church on my computer is doing anything for me.

https://youtu.be/Kb3CXEtra2w

PS. I already know about all the typos and wrong words in my slides.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Please tell me this was recorded on that piano in the Google lobby.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Google's buildings are closed until further notice. This was recorded in my garage.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    PS. I already know about all the typos and wrong words in my slides.

Okay, I won't tell you about them :)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Nisi
    Just a notion to pass along ...
    One Christmas season, I was in London to hear all the wonderful music. The Brompton Oratory used "Divinum mysterium" as the melody for the words of "Tantum ergo" at Benediction, artfully tying together the Christmas season and Our Lord's Incarnation. I thought it was beautiful.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    that does sound nice.

Did they do it in three or equalist?
  • Nisi
    The congregation was singing, and no text or music provided, so equal-length notes.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    congregation was singing
    equal-length notes

I'm getting chills.
    Unaccompanied?
  • Nisi
    With Ralph Downes's organ!