Collect for Presentatio BMV (Peter Philips)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Sorry there's no forum category for Latin translation help! Would someone mind checking on this attempt?
  • joerg
    I'd think that "Praesta quaesumus" belongs to "praesentari mereamur": Grant us we pray, that we, who celebrate again her feast on earth, by her interceding may be worthy...
    [English is not my mother tongue, so you may still have to translate this into correct English syntax!]
    Thanked by 2Richard Mix CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    FWIW I found a translation into Italian here
    Preghiamo. O Dio, che volesti che la santa Genitrice di Dio, tempio dello Spirito Santo, fosse presentata nel tempio del Signore compiuti i tre anni: concedi, te ne preghiamo, che celebrando la festa della sua presentazione, siamo noi stessi resi un tempio in cui tu ti degni di abitare. Per il medesimo ... nell'unità del medesimo.
    which Google translates as
    Let's pray. O God, who wanted the holy Mother of God, temple of the Holy Spirit, to be presented in the temple of the Lord when she was three years old: grant, we pray, that by celebrating the feast of her presentation, we are ourselves made a temple in which you deign to live. For the same ... in the unity of the same.
  • chonakchonak
    I think this makes sense:

God, who willed that blessed Mary ever-virgin,
    the tabernacle of the Holy Spirit,
    after her third year
    should be presented in the temple:

grant, we beseech you,

that we who on earth celebrate the feast
    of her presentation may,
    by her intercession,
    merit to be presented
    at the temple which is Christ
    in heavenly glory.
  • I like Chonak's version, though I might put the phrase, "in heavenly glory," before, "at the temple," but that's style rather than content.
  • chonakchonak
    I would have liked to place it differently too. It was not obvious whether "in heavenly glory" should be interpreted in relation to "Christ" or to us ("that we ... may ... be presented"), so I took the more conservative option.