• I bought all 10 of the Widor Organ Symphonies on CD in December. (Yeah I still collect CDs. I hate streaming to be honest! In fact, rather than buy the combined Widor boxed set, I deliberately spent more money to get them all on individually packaged albums!) To help start my appreciation of these compositions, does anyone have recommended movements or moments? Or maybe even interesting compositional details in the scores?
  • Symphonie Romane. Period.

Whose performance of it did you get?
    Thanked by 2avscvlta BruceL
  • The whole set is a monumental opus perfectly proportioned to the instrument for which they were written. The man truly was a genius.

In fact, I often marvel at the organists of that period in and around Paris. It’s really mind boggling when you consider it.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Early 20th century France had some truly incredible organists, many of whom were also composers. To be able to go to church on Sunday morning and have the choice of hearing Durufle, Vierne, or Widor play depending where you went must have been amazing. Don't forget that Dupre was a rising star at this time also. I'm sure there are others I have forgotten. It was such a loss when both Vierne and Widor died in 1937.

As far as what movement to listen to, I generally prefer to listen to a multi movement work in it's entirety first. Later I might find certain movements that I like more and will listen to those separately. However, the composer intended them to be performed together, and I think you should listen to them like that to get the full effect.
  • Kathy
  • CharlesW
    I have always liked John Near's recording of Symphony 8, especially the finale. I really can't explain why, it is just that certain works will resonate with you for some reason.
  • I got the recordings by Joseph Nolan.

Thanks Casavant Organist for recommending the Symphonie Romane. Each year I assign myself a monthly composition to enjoy in detail. I've changed my February composition from the Gothique to the Romane due to your comment.

2021 List
    JAN Dussek: Messe Solemnelle
    FEB Widor: Symphonie Romane
    MAR Berlioz: La Damnation de Faust
    APR Smetana: Ma Vlast
    MAY Debussy: Pelleas et Melisande
    JUN Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2
    JUL Schubert: Winterreise
    AUG Mahler: Symphony No. 5
    SEP Mozart: Requiem
    OCT Verdi: Otello
    NOV Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 25
    DEC Bach: Mass in B Minor
  • JUN Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2

One of my all-time favorites.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • Thanks for your comment. So far I've only heard portions of Rachmaninov's 2nd. Looking forward to spending some time giving it undivided and repeated listens.