Father Reginald (Reggie) Foster - Vatican Latinist - died
  • WGS
    Obituary - News Article in the NYT - dated 27 DEC 2020
    RIP
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • If only the Church said its Latin as Cicero and Virgil did instead of the way modern Italians do.

What a remarkable man was Fr Reginald!
  • stulte
    May God grant him eternal rest!

If only the Church said its Latin as Cicero and Virgil did instead of the way modern Italians do.

No. Heeeeeeeeeeeck no!
    Thanked by 2trentonjconn tomjaw
  • SalieriSalieri
    Oy. Can you imagine what the Mozart c minor would sound like?

...ex Maria weeer-gi-ne, ex Maria weeer-gi-ne et homo factus est.

I'd rather the Church adopt English scientific Latin: Adesteee fie-dee-lees, lay-tie trie-um-fan-tees, ve-nie-tee, ve-nie-tee in Bethlehem.
  • Felicia
    You could have Texan Latin, as in "A-deeays-tay fidayles."

The folks in my parish don't really sing it that way. But, on occasion, I have heard "Glow-ree-uh" and "Sanctyus", with the "u" in Sanctus being almost an umlaut.
  • Felicia
    May he rest in peace.
  • The Church has always used Latin but the pronunciation has always varied widely.

The italianate pronunciation of Latin may have been made official 130 years or so ago by the Liber, but it was the most admired and prestigious pronunciation even in the Renaissance, as many writers of the time attest. Probably earlier, even. It's the way Romans spoke Latin.

The customary English (Sees 'er, aw gust us) pronunciation in the 16th century and later was notoriously incomprehensible on the Continent.

The reconstructed classical pronunciation, used in classical scholarship for the last century or so (longer in England, shorter in the US) targets the educated elegant public Latin of the first century before Christ. Cicero (kick a row) and Virgil (wear gilly oos), basically. But Latin is not the liturgical language until three hundred years later. I suspect therefore that the classical pronunciation was never ever used in the Roman liturgy.
  • It was indeed into the fourth century or so that Latin became the ritual language of the Church, and the people, accustomed to the 'traditional' Greek lingua Franca, were quite displeased.