Anima Christi Motet
  • Greetings all,

I have done this over the last three days, and yes its not a Christmas Motet but something more general for throughout the year. I generally try to compose ahead of the coming liturgical season to be ahead of the game, so hopefully I can have a hard look at some Lenten works. Just a general note: I did not include all the text as the choirs or groups (I'm still begging them for recordings) that do happen to sing my work are usually time constrained, but it has not lost its splendor.

All the same I wish everyone here a Merry Christmas.
  • Gorgeous!

I'm not a huge fan of the consecutive parallel 4ths in m. 8-9 in tenor and alto - on a first listen it stood out before I even noticed what was going on.

Also not sure about the last beat of m. 11 into the second inversion Am in m. 12. The sonorities just feel a little off. Maybe a spot for a little suspension or passing tone to make one of the lines sound a little more independent?

Thanks for all your contributions here!!
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • Quite lovely!
    I think that Elizabeth I would have found it delightful.
    About those parallel fifths in mm. 8-9 - they look worse than they sound. Probably, one should do something about them, but!, as I was playing from the WTC this afternoon I ran across several of them, so I shouldn't worry too much about them.
    Thanked by 2m_r_taylor sdtalley3
  • @sdtalley3 How very beautiful. Merry Christmas to you as well!
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • @ m_r_taylor & M. Jackson Osborn

Couldn't agree more upon m11-12 needing a suspension. Also I was shooting for an English feel to this, as I'm very fond of both Tallis, Byrd, and Dowland. I corrected the music and audio for this and reposted it. There was also a sneaky parallel 5th I caught so that was fixed as well. Parallel 4th's, in all are tolerated, and maybe they just sound awkward in the use of mm 8-9...I didn't do anything in that regard yet.

Thank you.
  • Greetings all, Steven's Anima Christi was recorded earlier in August here in Denver.
    http://youtu.be/AdN1OAeRvyY