• Greetings.

I am a new member of this forum. I am a Latin rite Catholic, with great interest in plain-chant, especially the vernacular adaptations of plain-chant (I also recently discovered Anglican chant, of which I know very little but which seems very interesting, as does the Anglican Ordinariates in general). I also sing with the Schola Sainte-Cécile, in Paris.
    Being French, I ask your indulgence in advance, since English is not my first language.

Thank you for welcoming me here.

Pax vobis.
  • Welcome!
    I have been a Francophile all my life on days on which I wasn't an Anglophile.
    And your English is fine.
  • Since you are liking Anglican chant, you may hear an hour's worth of particularly well done chant by googling 'anglican chant guildford youtube'.
    This is chant done when Barry Rose was choirmaster at Guildford Cathedral and is unusually sensitive - even though he has a tendency to unfortunate ritards at the ends of psalms.

Other good chant can be heard from King's College and a variety of other cathedral and collegiate chapels such as St John's at Oxford.
    Thanked by 1Jehan_Boutte
  • Thank you for your welcome and your suggestion M. Osborn. I will be listening to this very soon.

Edit: It is indeed very beautiful! And unlike other versions I have heard, the psalms are very easy to understand. I suppose this was (is?) the norm in those great Anglican Cathedrals in the early 20th Century.
  • Welcome! I hope you find useful information, conversation, and fellowship. I have, these thirteen years. This forum has remained one of the best communities on the internet.
    Thanked by 1Jehan_Boutte
  • Drake
    Welcome to the forum! You'll find a number of members here who are involved with the Anglican Ordinariates and who also have a great love for the Latin traditions, MJO being a prominent one. I, myself, have largely grown up in a Latin Mass community, so I tend to gravitate towards Latin, Gregorian chant, and polyphony. Of course, there is a great tradition of Catholic polyphony written in Latin in England and France as well. And even I'm known to sing in the vernacular once in a while. (Oh, and if you encounter purple on the forum, it is something meant facetiously, jokingly, or tongue-in-cheek.)

And I second what Andrew Malton said. There is so much to learn from the members of this forum. You'll find a broad range of talents, skills, and experience--from directors to organists, to professional and amateur composers, to educators and scholars and even a few priests.
    Thanked by 1Jehan_Boutte
  • davido
    Jehan you are so fortunate to sing with the Schola Saint-Cecil! It is a dream of mine to visit Paris someday and hear them or perhaps even sing with them! Love the music you do
    Thanked by 1Jehan_Boutte
  • Jehan you are so fortunate to sing with the Schola Saint-Cecil! It is a dream of mine to visit Paris someday and hear them or perhaps even sing with them! Love the music you do

Thank you! You would be welcome at the SSC, the choirmaster is always happy to welcome new voices. And of course, Paris is a wonderful city.
    To be fair, I personally only sing at Vespers and sometimes during the week for occasional Sung Masses.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Welcome, Jehan_Boutte!
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Jehan_Boutte