Advent/Christmas Liturgical Year 2021
  • Kathy
    Have parishes/ dioceses made any special adjustments to their Advent and Christmas schedules and plans?
  • Advent in Toronto has essentially been cancelled.
  • Here in Pittsburgh, PA, Bishop David Zubik has allowed Christmas Vigil Masses to begin at 2:00 p.m. on December 24.

My home parish’s schedule is:

Christmas Eve — Thursday, December 24, 2020
    2:00, 4:00, 6:00 p.m.

Christmas Day — Friday, December 25, 2020
    Midnight, 9:00, 11:00 a.m.

I’m not sure how many parishes in our diocese are adding Masses earlier than 4:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Diocese of Phoenix is allowing Vigil Masses (OF) to begin at noon on Christmas Eve.

The Cathedral schedule:
    2pm - Sung English Vigil (Organ and cantor)
    4pm - Sung English Vigil (Organ and cantor)
    6pm - Spanish Vigil (organ and cantor)
    8pm - Spanish Vigil (organ and cantor)
    10:30pm - Prelude (60% choral, 40% organ)
    11:00pm - Pontifical Sung Mass during the Night (organ and quartet)
    9:00am - Sung Mass of Christmas Day (organ and quartet)
    11:00am - Spanish Mass of Christmas Day (organ and cantor)
  • Liam
    The Archdiocese of Boston is permitting Masses to begin on Christmas Eve after the close of the noon hour, at 1PM.
  • Our priests are permitted to say extra masses to accommodate the spreading out of crowds.

Musically speaking we’ve been specifically warned to avoid scheduling well-known hymns as it would tempt people to sing since they likely know a verse or two of their favorites from memory.

Imagine that: we’re told not to encourage people to sing to Jesus for His birthday.
  • francis
    God’s Word:

Sing ye to the Lord a new canticle: because he hath done wonderful things. His right hand hath wrought for him salvation, and his arm is holy.

The Lord hath made known his salvation: he hath revealed his justice in the sight of the Gentiles.

He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.

Sing joyfully to God, all the earth; make melody, rejoice and sing.

Psalm 96

Man’s Rules:

Encourage guests to avoid singing or shouting, especially indoors. Keep music levels down so people don’t have to shout or speak loudly to be heard.

CDC.gov, document on “holidays”, (gathering in your home)

(More here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays.html)
  • davido
    Now really Francis, who cares about you more, God or the government?

Besides, this is a pandemic emergency! Not a time to be thinking about God, We could die!
  • But don't worry, is ok to go to the bars. Just don't go to church, COVID will kill everyone there.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • francis
    @davido

God cares about my eternal destiny. The govt.? You tell me.
  • Don’t worry, we can all be packed in bars and restaurants, sans masks, eating/talking, but singing in church with a mask on and at least six feet of distance is putting us at risk.
  • So far, chez moi/D. of Cleveland, all good for schedules. Note: so far. Our pastor got COVID and his assistant was quarantined. This only affects my Mass insofar as Fr. helped with the distribution...which has been longer because the priest at the OTHER TLM/NO in town came down with it and has cancelled some Masses. None of our TLM priests have been sick. The sick priests are recovering well, which is good because Other Father has me scheduled to sing Rorate on the 12th.

As for plans...I planned everything as me solo with organ (all I'm allowed), so if anything changes besides a total closure, I'll be happy to change my plans. There's one thing I'm doing differently this year. For Advent and Lent, we'd just been doing the communion antiphon with psalm verses. Easy, and no organ, but definitely better with a group than solo. Sunday I did a boildown of one verse of a 4-voice setting of Conditor alme siderum by Palestrina that I'd set with organ. We'd never quite got all 4 parts going on it; this could have been the year. Instead, people got 3 parts, just not all at the same time. I feel OK doing things with organ taking vocal parts, but not with doing things with independent organ parts. And that's what I'm reconsidering for Advent. I may end up stretching the rules for the emergency; so sue me.

Christmas will be Mass VIIi instead of Yon Mass of the Shepherds, though I'm afraid they'll sing along (We're supposed to discourage that now.)