Pipes vs Digital
  • Also, I’d bet my right arm that some of the purists here lucky enough to have pipe organs won’t bat an eyelash when the sacristans put up fake Christmas trees and garlands in the chancel in a few weeks. I bet they use electric lights on their personal trees too, rather than candles.

Should we also mention what an abomination light bulbs are rather than candles? Why have lights above the pulpit, or at the altar, or next to your music racks? We ONLY used candles for MILLENIA!
  • Ted
    Charles, what is wrong with your Rodgers? I have a 2 manual Rogers 525 and the main problem I have had with it is with the pedal board switches. The pedal board uses rubber rings on the pedals that compress on the microswitches, but after time the synthetic rubber degrades and falls apart. Although you can still get these rubber rings on eBay, they are very pricey so I found another even better solution that is permanent, using reed switches and magnets.

The original tones on the Rodgers are awful, but I got the organ because of its MIDI and the price was right. Its MIDI unfortunately does not connect to the pistons on the console so I got a touch screen for the computer setup allowing me to easily touch on/off the stops and registration buttons (rather than using a mouse). The touch screen is suspended with a monitor arm near me as if it were part of the console.

Although I did not have to, I decided to devote a computer to it, and started with an old one sitting around. To connect the MIDI to the computer I got a good quality Roland MIDI to USB cable. From then on it was a matter of downloading the software, Grand Orgue (which is free), Hauptwerk which at the time was free but with certain limitations that did not really bother me, and downloaded all the free organ samplings I could find. Originally I just used the speakers on the console that connect to the computer audio output, but eventually also added an impressive subwoofer and other things like a professional reverb unit for those dry samples I downloaded. But I still often use just headphones when practising late at night.

Setting up Hauptwerk was confusing at first, but they have online forums to help and once I understood the principle behind it, it became simple. Grand Orgue is more straight forward, but does not have the configuration features Hauptwerk has. In hindsight, it is not difficult to set everything up once you know what you are doing, and I can help with any problems.
  • CharlesW
    This is a 1986 Rodgers 650. When I push and hold the start button I can hear the amp(s) come up and the pedal light comes on, but that is it. The power switch, which is supposed to light after it does a circuit check, never lights. I purchased the schematics when I bought the organ in 1986 from a now defunct Rodgers dealer. The schematics show 7 fuses. I have found 3 which check out fine and need to look some more since a fuse check would be the simpler option. Granted, it could be a worn out start switch but I pulled it and it looks OK.

In other words, there is power to the amps but none to the manuals or stop tabs.

Pedals are fine. It is a magnetic pedal board and I have never had any problems with it.

The thing is a beast to move. I had trouble before with the "reed ff" switch conking out. Since I had another working trumpet I didn't try to fix it. It knocked out the Festival Trumpet, Salicional and oboe. There are 3 amps in it and I wondered if the extra amp for reed ff went out.

• CharlesW
    SS, candles indeed. The company would likely cancel my insurance. LOL Christmas trees, as with much in nature, makes me sneeze and wheeze, so the artificial tree is a necessity. Anyone remember the aluminum trees with the color wheel? That's been a while. Then there are those wretched lilies at Easter. Wheeze city.
  • Ted
    Charles: The 650 is apparently microprocessor controlled and there seems to be some activity in the organ, so I would definitely try to locate and test the remaining fuses. The fuses are there for a reason. If the on/off switch is a simple SPST switch then it is OK, but if not SPST, having more than 2 wires connected to it, the only proper way to test it is with some continuity tester (eg ohmmeter) if it can be isolated from the electronics, or a voltmeter if it cannot.

I tried to find schematics online for this model to help you further, but found only a tech service manual and $300 being asked for it. Rodgers no longer seems to have info online for this model.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Charles, I always struggle a week or two after Easter when the lilies get a little ripe and start to shed all their pollen… It is absolutely terrible!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Thanks, Ted. I have that manual. If you will PM an email address, I will scan the schematics page and email it to you so you can look at it. I suspect your electronics knowledge is greater than mine.

The switch is a push button with a light in it. You press it and hold it for a few seconds then let go and the light stays on. It supposedly tests internal circuitry and if the light stays on it means all is well.

I am suspecting fuses. I will move the console out in a week or so to paint the wall behind it. It doesn't slide well on carpet and is difficult to move. The carpeting is getting replaced with a hard flooring material so it will slide better in the future.
  • CharlesW
    SS, the florist removes stamens or some such - I refer to it as castrating the lilies. That's supposed to help but I still stay as far away from them as possible.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Anyone remember the aluminum trees with the color wheel?

My grandparents had one! I thought it was great! Too bad they don't make them anymore. I'd love one!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I know. You can tell I was easily entertained, but I could watch the colors change for hours.