Making Practice Recordings
  • Our "COVID Choir" will rehearse their parts at home and we will use our reduced-time rehearsals to put parts together.
    I created a Drop Box in which to put the voice files I will make which they can access at home.
    I believe most people will have a tablet or phone to access these files. What is the most common/ easily accessed audio file type on which to record? I use an app on my phone but it created M4A files (?) and some complained they couldn't play them. Before I put in the time to record 20+ hymns and parts, I'd like to choose a good app on which to record.
    I understand there are some nice recording devices, but for the immediate future I have to stick to my phone and an app. I hope this does suffice because it is simply me and a keyboard recording parts for people to practice with. Nothing fancy.
  • If it isn't clear, I'm looking for an app that does MP3 recordings that isn't a pain to work with!
  • I presume that since you're generating m4a's you're using an iphone?
  • Personally I use Hauptwerk and a Zoom recorder to make our practice tracks. Sharing things from ios devices is a real pain (in the sense that you often have little control over output). Your other option is to generate the m4a files and then go to a conversion website or download a converter program to generate mp3s. Mp3s are the easiest to share due to their ubiquity and small file size. Everyone under the sun can open an mp3. Your other option would be to use a service like soundcloud.
  • I use Voice Record on iOS. It's very customizable - file type, bit depth, mic gain, etc.
  • I use Voice Record, too, and one can send the resulting files via email or whatsapp, which is convenient. I usually send them to myself via email and then redistribute them from there.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    There are several (free) online audio converters - just google "m4a to mp3" to find one. For my own use, I have the Switch Sound Converter from NCH, which is effortless to use, usually converting to 160kbps mp3 files (although there are numerous other bitrate options, all the way up to 320kbps - you'll probably find the rates 64, 112, 128, 160, 224 all more than adequate for rehearsal recordings).

• ViolaViola
    We use Audacity, the free version. My recordings of the hymns produce a WAV file which we convert to mp3 via Audacity with a click track incorporated. This is very useful to keep folk together. They mainly record themselves on their phones which produce mp4s so we comvert these to mp3s to mix on Audacity.
    Thanked by 2marymezzo CHGiffen