Cunctipotens Genitor • New Motet/Fauxbourdon
  • Greetings all,
    In another thread someone shared a score of a fauxbourdon of the text cuctipotens genitor, a text that was new to me. I quite like the text (I'm a sucker for anything penitential) and did a little research and found out that there was a rich history surround it and Kyrie IV (quoted by the Alto's in the last line). At any rate, I decided to write and record my own setting this morning and wanted to share it with you. Feel free to use at your parishes. If you ever perform it I'd love to know.

Here's a YouTube video with an SAB performance as well as individual practice tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBOH_yP5BtY

As an aside, I realize I probably broke some (many?) rules of true medieval fauxbourdonning... but I'm a modern composer who simply looks to the traditional style without seeking to limit myself to it in the strictest sense.
    Thanked by 2jefe sdtalley3
  • jefe
    I guess I'm the mysterious "someone" you refer to in your post. Your arrangement is not quite as lean as the original, but I like it nonetheless. I have no qualms with updating old music as long as it retains the essence of the work, or even squeezing out more essence, as you have done. We must bring the best of old into our century to make it relevant. I downloaded your work and we'll chant it down the road.
    jefe
  • Jefe, you're correct, it was you. I beg your pardon for not double checking and naming you as the one to share in my OP.

And you're right: it isn't as lean, however my schola is currently SAB (SABar, really) so I wrote it for them.

At any rate, I'm glad you like it, and thank you for the complement.
  • jefe
    SS,
    It's difficult to work with meager resources, as you have had to do. Keep on keeping on. You might find these worth doing with your schola.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Thank you!
  • toddevoss
    My favorite mass setting is Missa IV. Assuming this was placed in a mass where Missa IV was sung - what would be an appropriate placement? After the offertory chant /antiphon or after the communion chant/antiphon? Elsewhere?