Pedaling help needed on two hymns
  • A silver lining of COVID, i.e. 'no choir,' has been being able to take time every day to practice organ. I should have a significant amount of hymns prepared for Advent and Christmas seasons (which is unusual for this pianist).

I am using the Gather 3 books currently and am playing as written. I have figured out the pedaling- heel/toe- for all the hymns except "On Jordan's Bank" and "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing." This question is oddly specific, but does anyone who has the GIA arrangement of the hymns and play them on organ be willing to share what their pedaling for these pieces?

• CharlesW
    What works for me assuming B flat as in Ritual Song. Alternate Left and Right toes on the first three notes B flat, D, B flat. then R toe E flat. Angle foot downward and get the C with R heel and the B flat eighth note with R toe, then R heel A, L toe F, then R toe B flat and so forth. You will have some toe work in this hymn. You don't have my feet so this may or may not work for you.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • davido
    I can look at these tmr, but as I remember, I either have to do some toe-toe substituting, or lifting a foot to cover some of those large bass intervals
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • This is what I do (usually anyway)
  • I second Rob. I went through that mentally just now and it fits like a glove.
  • Thanks for taking the time, everyone. I'm looking forward to getting back on the bench to try these out.
  • CharlesW
    Pedaling indications are like fingering. It may work for you, it may not. Always feel free to change to what works best for you.