Chant "Entrance Hymn" for Novus Ordo Funeral Mass
  • Hello Forum Members,

This may be an obvious question for some, but I would love to hear any recommendations.
    We have a funeral next week and the widow requested as much Latin chant as possible, in lieu of vernacular hymns. This is wonderful, but I am wondering what a good chant to take the place of an entrance hymn would be? Looking through Jubilate Deo and Liber Cantualis books I am thinking the Da Pacem hymn would be nice? Christus Vincit perhaps to express Christ's triumph over the grace - or that might not exactly be appropriate?

Thanks for any suggestions!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is there a reason you are not just going to chant the funeral propers?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Haha, good question! Probably because I did not see them in the Parish Book of chant!
    Found them online - still curious any recommendations if she doesn't want to do the whole propers. I'll try to steer her to these though.

Thanks!
  • There are a couple more options in the Graduale Simplex, if she would prefer the less ornate but still authentic.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Gregorian Missal (1990) gives the full a list of substitutions whose aptness might depend a little on the chosen lessons; for the Entrance: Requiem, Ego autem cum justitia, Intret oratio mea, Si iniquitates.
  • a_f_hawkins
    There are seven in GR, and GS has two more: Dona eis, Domine, which I find particularly appealing, and Aperite mihi. And that is just introits.
  • The funeral propers are a treasure and well worth keeping alive, as it were. I won't sing weddings, but I'll take any requiem Mass offered (assuming use of the propers). It's beautiful music and lovely prayer.
  • Chaswjd
    I believe that many of the propers for a funeral are also used on All Souls Day. If you cannot find them under “funeral” you might find them under “All Souls.”
  • I’d go with the traditional Subvenite chant proper. It sets the somber tone and prays for the deceased.

https://youtu.be/q_qyiZp_cC8
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • a_f_hawkins
    In the OF, GR(73) does permit Subvenite, there is a rubric on p692, as an addition to one of the Introits. I presume this would be before the Introit, as traditionally. The tune given is however not the one in the video above, and there are other differences.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • a_f_hawkins
    Dona eis, Domine, ... with Psalm 6 Domine, ne in furore tuo arguas me, neque in ira tua corripias me. as in GS is a sombre option. Indeed the combination of that after Subvenite strikes me as one I would like for my own funeral, but probably cannot arrange.
  • RCS333
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I will use this as a reference for the future as well.
  • @RCS333 the chants for the Requiem Mass are indeed in the PBC (2nd ed.) beginning at p. 151/no. 155. They are easy to miss because it says "for the Traditional Requiem Mass," but the footnote observes that the "chants may be used in the Ordinary Form as well."
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • ghmus7
    Hard to imagine if you are doing chant for a funeral that the introit would be other than Requiem Aeternam