Solesmes Graduale (English) Copyright
  • Two questions:

1) What is the specific Creative Commons license for the Solesmes 1989 Graduale Romanum English translation? (The one used as a source for the Jogues Missal, etc) The only citation I ever find is just this generic "CC" license. Can anyone point me to it?

2) Can anyone point me to this actual work - whether in purchase or downloadable form? Obviously I can lift the text from works that have used it, but I'm looking for the actual source, and as stated above, in particular its license.

Thanks!
  • The entire Gregorian Missal can be downloaded here: https://media.musicasacra.com/books/gregorianmissal-eng.pdf

Except for the English translation of the prayers, Eucharistic prayers, prefaces and other texts from the Order of the Mass, St. Peter's Abbey in Solesmes holds the copyright.
    Thanked by 2afries52 donr
  • chonakchonak
    I don't know if they've published a statement about a Creative Commons license, but my understanding is that CMAA asked them if they'd be willing to grant it, and they agreed.
    Thanked by 1afries52
  • I see nothing about a Creative Commons license, has anyone seen one? The online copy says
    This book is made available online courtesy of The Solesmes Monastery. It is hosted online courtesyof the Church Music Association of America.
    This book may be usedfor non-commercial liturgical purposes provided credit is given to the monastery
    and should be relied on.
    Some of the material in the book is copyright variously by the abbey, the printer, and ICEL, the bulk is in the public domain. If you want to make any other use of it, you will need to check with all of them.
  • @chonak - thanks - that's what I'm getting at. I just thought it was odd that the specific CC license was never referenced.