Chant Boot Camp for Children
  • Kathy
    I'm holding a six-hour session of Beginning Youth Classical Schola at my parish in Alexandria, VA this month for kids ages 8-17. Classes are Monday and Tuesday nights from 6-7 pm, and run for 3 weeks beginning July 13.

Beginning Schola is a basic-training course in chant that I hold several times each year for children and teens in my parish. After completing the course, which covers basic singing, Latin pronunciation, and reading chant notation, the kids sing at a Mass and graduate into Intermediate Schola, the main body of our parish's youth schola.

I thought I would ask if any nearby directors would be interested in sending a group of children and teens to these sessions in hopes of beginning a youth schola at their own parish. The charge per child would be $20 and this would include a Parish Book of Chant, with scholarships available and discounts for multiple children from the same families. A chaperone would be required. During this particular session, because of my parish's seasonal needs, we will be learning the Missa Orbis Factor and the introit and communio for the Assumption. In the fall session we will be learning the Missa de Angelis and propers for All Saints Day, which falls on a Sunday this year.

I realize this is somewhat late notice, but if you might be interested please feel free to drop me a line, hymnwriter at gmail dot com
  • miacoyne
    Kathy, this is wonderful. My parish is a bit too far, but don't forget to send emails to homeschooling groups in VA.