Latin Mass in Savannah?
  • MNburg
    Does anyone know if the Latin Mass is still offered at Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Savannah? Is it a low or high Mass? How’s the music? Thanks for any insight!
  • rich_enough
    It is still being offered at the Cathedral according to their Facebook page. I don't know about the music.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would suggest going to their principal Novus Ordo Mass if you want fantastically executed music.
  • I was there about a month ago. I was glad to be able to attend a High Mass; however, they did some odd things. Firstly, it isn't the principal Mass, so there's no organ. The readings are read in the vernacular by a lay lector while the celebrant says them silently at the altar. The entire congregation and choir sing the paternoster with the celebrant. They also threw in one or two vernacular motets. It was eclectic to be sure, but at the end of the day I never complain about the opportunity to attend a High Mass. I most especially feel this way if it is being offered by diocesan clergy at a cathedral, all of which are lovely signs. The schola sang chant beautifully!
  • a_f_hawkins
    As recitation of the Pater noster with the celebrant is explcitly allowed (indeed commended) at read Masses, it seems odd that it should not be treated in the same way at a sung Mass.