Antiphonale Monasticum
  • Which volume of the new Antiphonale Monasticum has Compline? I know nothing about the Benedictine rite.

Also, Paraclete Press has Vols I, Ii, III, & V. Was IV published?

Thanks.

Kenneth
  • chonakchonak
    The Psalterium Monasticum has Compline, though it's not complete -- oh, sorry for the pun. One would need the Liber Hymnarius also to get the hymn melodies for the various seasons.

Antiphonale Monasticum vol 1 provides an outline of Compline, mostly saying to look in the Psalterium for this and the Hymnarius for that. And it provides the Marian antiphons in full.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Thanks. Very helpful. Do i have to have all three to get everything—I mean, are the Marian Antiphons Only in I? I have the l Hymnarius, so I have to buy the Psalterium in any case. Working towards a complete set but it’s pricey.

Thanks again.

Kenneth
  • graduale
    The 4th volume has not yet been published. Supposedly it was meant to contain OF Matins, which hadn’t been included in any other volume - I may be mistaken.
  • chonakchonak
    Volume 1 is De Tempore; volume 2 is a Psalterium; and volume 3 is De Sanctis.

Volume 1 (2005) has this in its Ordinarium, all in 1 1/2 pages:
    * Beginning of the Hour (text only with rubrics); melodies are notated in the Toni Communes elsewhere in the same book
    * Rubric: get the hymn from the LH,
    * Rubric: sing Ps 4, 90, 133 without antiphons (psalm text not provided)
    * Rubric: get the reading from the Psalterium
    * Text: verse and response, Custodi nos
    * Rubric: instead of the verse and response, one may sing the brief responsory "In manus tuas" and "Nunc dimittis"
    * Rubric: get the Oratio from the Psalterium
    * Text: either "Noctem quietem...." or "Benedicat vos..."

And Volume 1 has the Marian antiphons for the seasons, notated with two melodies for each, and a third Cistercian melody for the Salve.

Volume 2 (2006) has these materials for Compline:
    * no beginning of the Hour indicated
    * two hymn options notated with basic melody (See LH for seasonal melodies)
    * Psalms 4, 90, and 133, text, without antiphons
    * NOTE: no text of Lectio Brevis!
    * Text of a verse and response, Custodi nos, to be sung after reading
    * As an alternative, one may sing these:
    * - the brief responsory "In manus tuas"; four seasonal variants with full notation
    * - Nunc dimittis (text) with antiphon (notated)
    * Text: Collects for the days of the week
    * Refers reader to the Ordinarium for the Conclusio Horae
    * No Marian antiphons

Volume 3 (2007) repeats what was in Volume 1.

The 1981 Psalterium Monasticum, in its "Schema A" section:
    * presents the psalms 4, 90, and 133 *with antiphons*
    * includes the texts of the lectio brevis (they can all fit on one page)
    * The brief responsory "In manus tuas" (two versions)
    * the Nunc, with its antiphon notated
    * Brief litany (Kyrie; then Pater noster) -- this does not appear in the 2005-2007 Antiphonale
    * text of the daily Oratio conclusiva
    * text of Marian antiphons

----
    So these present the ingredients from which one could construct an ordo of Compline, though I suppose it would be helpful to get an explanation of the differences between the 1981 and 2005 versions:
    * no antiphons with the psalms?
    * no brief litany?
  • Wow—-so I could spend ~ $250 and still not have an answer?

I suppose this is not surprising as I tried to follow along in my new Antiphonale Romanum for vespers—same day—and the monks of Solesmes seemed to be using a different psalm tone but same antiphon. You would think it’d be the other way.

I suppose it might be easier to take the Liturgia Horarum and piece it together from existing resources. Has anyone done that?

I always intended to buy all the volumes, but it will be a slow while.

Thank you all for your helpful and informed replies.

Kenneth
  • GerardH
    Forum-member @smvanroode has a complete order of Compline according to the Ordo Cantus Officii 2015 on his website. Very useful!
  • The best thing about the Chant “movement”—if you will—is the huge quantity of really excellent DIY products. That’s great to know!