Changes to OCP's Breaking Bread/Music Issue 2021
  • CatholicZ09
    Every summer, OCP releases its list of what is changing in its upcoming editions of Breaking Bread and Music Issue. Attached is what has been released.

Notable changes:

1. Tom Conry's "Ashes" will have a "new text," according to the document. No details as to what that means.

2. "See Us Lord About Your Altar" will feature a textual change in verse three. I'm assuming this change will be for the "Once in human form he suffered, now his form is but a sign" line.

3. "Alleluia! Sing to Jesus" will have two verses added - I'm assuming these are the "Alleluia! Bread of angels..." and "Alleluia! Not as orphans..." verses that, from what I remember, were never in either Breaking Bread or Music Issue.

4. "Alle, Alle, Alleluia" and "Lord of the Dance" are kicking the bucket. No real loss there.

5. "Christ is Alive" (TRURO) and "In His Temple Now Behold Him" (ST. THOMAS/TANTUM ERGO) are being removed. Two great texts, but it doesn't surprise me that they are being replaced by the latest and greatest from OCP's composers.
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • Good to see "Cwm Rhondda" added to the mix. Not much positive I can say about OCP, but that is one.
    BMP
  • Liam
    What's interesting is a composer whose works are not mentioned as being deleted.
  • What's interesting is a composer whose works are not mentioned as being deleted.

They might still be in there -- I recall having seen, but can't remember where I saw, a reference to the 2021 books already having gone to the printer before that news broke.
  • Bobby Bolin
    I'd imagine they are getting rid of In His Temple because the Presentation is not a Sunday again for a while.
  • Kathy
    I really like Joncas' With the Lord. Sorry to see it go.
  • Caleferink
    What's interesting is a composer whose works are not mentioned as being deleted.

They might still be in there -- I recall having seen, but can't remember where I saw, a reference to the 2021 books already having gone to the printer before that news broke.

I saw this on OCP's Facebook post about this. The books had already gone to print. I wonder if perhaps some sort of disclaimer will be included somehow.
  • Caleferink
    My five-minute analysis, at least of the titles I know:

The addition of "Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer" and the return of "Hail Thee, Festival Day" are very welcome.

"Alleluia! Raise the Gospel" is probably getting new life after the martyrdom of George Floyd with the issue of racism rearing its ugly head again. Still not worth my effort to program.

"Three Days" is also being resurrected (pardon the pun). An overly-sentimental text that ruins the good name of THAXTED.

The text change in stanza 3 of "See Us, Lord, about Your Altar" has been long needed, presuming it does indeed fix "now his form is but a sign." A few years ago they also edited "The Supper of the Lord" to read "seen as bread and wine" instead of "here in bread and wine" for the same reason.

Hopefully the 2 additional stanzas in "Alleluia, Sing to Jesus" are indeed "Alleluia, bread of angels" and "Alleluia, not as orphans." I've never understood why they omitted those in the first place, but better late than never if indeed so.

"Christ Is Alive" is perhaps the only Brian Wren text I like, so it's sad to see it go.

The ditching of "In His Temple Now Behold Him" makes no sense to me. Even though the Feast of the Presentation doesn't occur on Sunday for a while, (a) many parishes who have daily Masses with music would still use it on that day, and (b) it might make a good hymn for the Feast of the Holy Family in the coming Lectionary cycle, with the Gospel being that of Jesus' Presentation in the Temple.

"Out of Darkness" and "With the Lord" are solid pieces that I would have saved.

Everything else being deleted has been in there long past their expiration dates.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I wonder if perhaps some sort of disclaimer will be included somehow.

I think that events are moving faster than any disclaimer. I learned today that the Diocese of Cleveland has banned that composer at the diocesan level, and strongly discouraging use of his works in parishes.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • Liam
    Arch. of Los Angeles did so on Thursday.
  • francis
    It took a while, but the moratorium is finally taking effect.