Chant Wars
  • I love this recording!
  • Geremia
    @noeljones,aago Yes, it's quite lively. I like the "Alleluaticum" (track 10) and how they did a "round-robin" for the verses of Christus vincit (track 13).
  • canadashcanadash
    I can't hear it. Booo.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • mmeladirectress
    Canadash - this CD is on Spotify. you can listen for free :-)
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • a_f_hawkins
    I am fine with "Free as in free speech", I find "Free beer" very unlikely, maybe I am getting paranoid in my dotage. Where is the catch with Spotify? (and the video is "unavailable").
  • chonakchonak
    The video is working here.
  • mmeladirectress
    >> where is the catch
    Spotify advertises a free subscription in which the listener will hear ads -
    also there are some limits to the use, e.g., one can only skip through tracks so many times a day.
    The paid subscription is about $10/mo, with no ads, unlimited skips, etc... and the "Chant Wars" CD is definitely there; I have listened to it.
    If the freebie doesn't give access to 100% of the tracks they carry, apologies. That's something I cannot "see" from here.

edited to add - more likely to encounter free beer than free speech, any more.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Geremia
    @canadash You don't see the embedded YouTube playlist in my original post?
  • chonakchonak
    Users viewing the site on phones don't see everything. Here's a link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=OLAK5uy_lVctcHHgcCE8TqxIUW6CPk4KVXmo0FkjU&v=EVEr_5ah5hM
  • a_f_hawkins
    Geremia - Here on, or just off, the western edge of Europe, I see the playlist, which also says "this video is unavailable". And when I tried Tor, it said "blocked due to suspicious activity on your computer".
    Chonak - Windows 10 Home V.1909 build 18363.959
    822 x 682 - 12K
  • chonakchonak
    If YouTube is blocking Tor clients, that's not related to anything on our servers.

The videos were posted on YouTube by the Sony record label, so they specify in which countries users are permitted to view them. The album was issued in Europe by Harmonia Mundi, and the permissions may vary across countries.

But there is a no-cost way to hear portions of the 2005 album "Chant Wars" by the ensembles Sequentia and Dialogos. It's available on the phone app "Spotify". If you search for the album there, you can play part of it, though the app presents the tracks in a randomized order, and also plays tracks from other albums by those artists.

If you have access to the paid service Amazon Music, it's also available there.
  • It's not available on YouTube in the UK - but I can't find it on Spotify either (and I have a subscription). Any chance of a kind soul providing a Spotify link to this album?
  • Geremia
    @a_f_hawkins: Try this link or M3U playlist (which can be played with, e.g., the free VLC media player).
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins