Stella Caeli Extirpavit
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    Here is what I had in mind sort of. I did not type set the chant yet, so I just took a photo of it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Very interesting. Thank you.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    I guess what I need is: notes w/out stems and free rhythm, or time changes that hide the alteration. This is not possible in my version of Finale, so I'll be exploring this later.
  • francisfrancis
    You can easily do this in Sibelius with free rhythm. But are you wishing to use neumes instead?
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @ francis

Both neums or stemless notes work for me.
  • francisfrancis
    then sibelius can do this quite easy... do you have a .mid file of your comp?
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    I can convert the file to a midi, and send to you if that is ok. The only thing is, I get off of work at 5:30 EST, so around 6:00 I can do this.
  • m_r_taylor
    This is lovely! Very glad someone else has taken a look at this. We sung the chant last Sunday alternating cantor and chorus with organ providing a drone. It's very haunting.

The voices aside from the original chant don't have text - do you intend for them to pick a vowel to vocalise or to join in the text at times?
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @m_r_taylor

For the most part everything would be sung in unison except the last verse where the bassus becomes a "drone", and the superius should be in unison with the cantus; that's the idea for now, and I can fix that later as well.
    Thanked by 1m_r_taylor
  • francisfrancis
    @sdtalley3

Yes, do send a .mid file and I will set it for you... it shouldn't take but 30 min or so
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I fiddled around with the GABC "polyphony" mechanism, and (using the GregoBase GABC code for "Stella caeli exterpavit") and sdtalley's score, managed to get a start on something perhaps close to what he wants. I only set the first (three part) phrase as well as the "Salva nos..." (the latter as best I could). If this is a good enough start, there shouldn't be too much problem with finishing the code.

A PDF is attached, and here is the GABC code:
    name:Stella caeli;
    office-part:Varia;
    mode:1;
    commentary:s. XV;
    %%
    (c4)Stel(d)la(h') cæ(h)li(g') ex(h)stir(j')pá(i)vit,(g.) *(,) quæ({l}{g'}i)
    la({m}{h}j)ctá({k}{f'}h)vit({l}{e}i) Dó({j}{e'}g)mi({k}{e}h)num :({k.}{d.}h.) (::)
    Mor(d)tis(h') pe(h)stem(g') quam(h) plan(j')tá(i)vit(g.) (,) pri(i')mus(j)
    pa(h')rens(i) hó(g')mi(h)num.(h.) (::)
    I(h)psa(g') stel(f)la(e') nunc(g) di(h')gné(h)tur(g.) (,) sí(j')de(i)ra(h')
    com(i)pé(g')sce(h)re,(h.) (::)
    Quo(h)rum(g') bel(f)la(e') ple(g)bem(h') cæ(h)dunt(g.) (,) di(j')ræ(i)
    mor(h')tis(i) úl(g')ce(h)re.(h.) (::)

O(k') pi(k)ís(j')si(k)ma(h'_) stel(k)la(j) ma(ih)ris,(g.) (,) a(i') pe(j)ste(h')
    suc(i)cúr(h)re(g') no(h)bis.(h.) (::)
    Au(k')di(k) nos,(j') Dó(k)mi(k)na,(h'_) nam(k) fi(k')li(j)us(i) tu(h)us(g.) (,)
    ni(i')hil(j) ne(h')gans(i) te(h) ho(g')nó(h)rat.(h.) (::)
    (dr0)Sal({kr0 }hgh)va(d') nos(h) Ie({kr}gf)su,({lr}{cr}e.) (,) pro({jr0}{cr0}f')
    qui(g)bus(e') Vir(f)go(g) Ma({kr}{ar}fe)ter({k}d) te({lm}cd)
    o({ml!kr}{ar}de!fvED'e)rat.({jk..}{ar}ed..) (::)
    Thanked by 2m_r_taylor chonak
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    Wow, thanks CHGiffen!
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    I was able to notate into chant the different parts until I can find or make a format that works for all three together.
  • francisfrancis
    @sdtalley3

Since GABC PDF is a transparent postscript image, i was able to superimpose them to achieve this from your pdf. Although this is possible, why would you not want to just do this in modern notation?
    1020 x 230 - 38K
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    Yes modern notation is more ideal. I would just want to clean up the original format I had on the Finale file, and have unindicated time changes to keep the tactus as is in the chant. For me it looks messy dealing with many time changes within a piece.
  • francisfrancis
    please read your PM
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Here's a quarter hour of playing with Sibelius. Stemless notes are a couple of clicks, but to my thinking less clear than beamed quavers a la Duruflé Ubi caritas. The icti, though, seem to imply a march step, so why not 2/4 and a few decisions about the ending?
    Thanked by 2m_r_taylor sdtalley3
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    With homophonic text settings in GABC you can get, if not a score, three well aligned systems with the "Z" system break.

name: ;
    user-notes: ;
    commentary: ;
    annotation: ;
    centering-scheme: english;
    %fontsize: 12;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %font: OFLSortsMillGoudy;
    %width: 5;
    %height: 11;
    %%
    (c4)
    Stel(d)la(h') cæ(h)li(g') ex(h)stir(i')pá(i)vit,(g.) *(::) Mor(d)tis(h') pe(h)stem(g') quam(h) plan(j')tá(i)vit(g.) (,Z)
    (c4)quæ(i) la(j)ctá(h)vit(i) Dó(g)mi(h)num :(h.) (::) pri(i')mus(j)
    pa(h')rens(i) hó(g')mi(h)num.(h.) (::Z)
    (c1)quæ(f) la(g)ctá(e)vit(f) Dó(d)mi(e)num :(e.) (::) pri(i')mus(j)
    (c4)quæ(g) la(h)ctá(f)vit(e) Dó(e)mi(e)num :(d.) (::) pri(i')mus(j)

Mor(d)tis(h') pe(h)stem(g') quam(h) plan(j')tá(i)vit(g.) (,) pri(i')mus(j)
    pa(h')rens(i) hó(g')mi(h)num.(h.) (::)
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    This was kindly done for me by Francis.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @ Richard Mix

Thank you Richard for showing this feature. It will definitely come in handy in the future for hymns with verses in chant.