Stabat Mater Speciosa
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    Hello

I got done putting this together yesterday, I am sorry there is no audio at the moment, but I'll have to finish making the slide presentation and post this at my YouTube channel. I will add the link to this post when that happens.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Steven,

This text seems to be very similar to, but apparently distinct from the same poet's Stabat Mater Dolorosa.

Could you disambiguate for me?
  • a_f_hawkins

Stabat Mater speciosa is considered one of the seven greatest Latin hymns of all time and one of the tenderest. It is based upon the Gospel account of the birth of Jesus. The hymn originated in the 13th century and has been attributed to Jacopone da Todi (1230-1306). There is a mirror image to this hymn, Stabat Mater dolorosa, which echoes the sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary at the crucifixion and death of Jesus.
    http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/BVM/SMSpeciosa.html
    Thanked by 2sdtalley3 CHGiffen
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    Well put a_f_Hawkins.

All the sources I came across say it was probably by Jacopone da Todi, and usually attributed to him. I think I have it so on the first sheet.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    Another thing for those that were wondering, I did stumble across a chant for it, but it did not set the mood for the music I wanted to write so I came up with a chant that reflects in a joyful and tender manner the text. A group asked me about this when they did not notice that “Do = D”, I transposed this because I found it jarring if I had the music a step lower for mode 6 as indicated in the chant.
  • francisfrancis
    Here is a little idea for a new melody... this is the inverse melody of the Stabat Mater... since the stabat is sad, we turn it upside down to make it joyful.

http://myopus.com/preview/stabatMaterSpecioso.mp4
    Thanked by 2sdtalley3 CHGiffen
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    That's very lovely Francis.
  • francisfrancis
    Per a request, posting this here.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3