New Composition Chants
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    Hello,

for those that interested I was able to go over some of my past works. The Ordinaries (Missa Sine Nomine) were a concept I came up with over ten years ago when I was in the military. I was not completely satisfied with the typography at the Agnus Dei, "peccata", it looks funny, so I'll need to figure that out since I use Illuminare Score Editor.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Very nice.

The 'ta' of peccata should be rendered (I think) as a virga followed by two puncta inclinata (diamonds), that is a climacus.

Since we have no choir or congregational singing on account of The VirusTM, I have been singing the ordinaries alone, which has allowed me to use almost the whole Kyriale Romanum, and other plainchant settings (esp. Du Mont): I would love to try these out at Mass at some point.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    Thanks Salieri,

that would be nice, as long as the local "ordinary" for music approves. I must confess I am not too familiar with approved new forms of chant being used during the liturgy outside of hymns, but hey, go for it, and if possible share any recordings.
  • chonakchonak
    If you have any odd results from the Gregorio processor at Illuminare's site, you might try the one I set up at run.gregoriochant.org; it has the latest version of the software, so it may lay things out a bit differently.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @chonak

I will definitely give it a try. When I was looking the chant over, I tried to correct this the best way I could, but it did not make it better so I chose to leave it as was and figure that out later.
  • I have to say it: your chant compositions seem to me to be on a par with those of Fr Columba. You certainly are a challenger. It remains to be seen what you can do with English chant. You could, for instance, start with the propers.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @M. Jackson Osborn,

while I am a little flatterd, I need to look more into Fr. Columba's works, I did see the Propers of the Mass set to English text and as knowing the Latin one's I was glad to see that this was done, and the skill in setting the text. I need to see if he has/had an originally made chant, which I'm sure he has plenty.