Alternate Salve
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Does anyone know of an alternate (simple) tone for the Salve? I would like something simpler than the Solemn tone, but not as neo-Gregorian sounding as the Simple tone.
  • Chrism
    Give the Dominican and Toledo settings available at GregoBase a look-see.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    There is a simple Oratorian version here but it is 1753, and Parisian, so not 'authentic Gregorian.'
    In fact I have been puzzling over what it might have sounded like. What were the six intended note lengths? I can't see, yet, how to write it out in Gabc . Opinions or advice welcome.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    If you are interested I might have something, structurally its more like the solemn tone, but maybe simpler (personal opinion). You can reach me at:sdtalley3@gmail.com
  • CGM
    Not too long ago I bumped into a post on this forum regarding the origins of the simple tone of the Salve Regina, which linked to a French book of chant containing an earlier form of the melody which was similar, but not identical. There might even have been more than one antecedent indicated in that thread, but alas, I can't find the thread now. Perhaps Chonak can wade in with his sleuthing skills...?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Earlier, I hope, than this -
    Bourgoing, François (15..-16.. ; musicien). Auteur du texte. Brevis
    psalmodiae ratio , ad usum presbyterorum congregationis
    Oratorii Domini Nostri Jesu Christi instituta, in qua, quid, quove
    modo tum celebrandi, tum choristis, aut cuilibet e choro
    psallendum sit, subjectis regulis declamatur. Authore P. Francisco
    Bourgoing, Bituricensis, congregationis Oratorii Domini Nostri
    Jesu Christi presbytero & domus nostrae Parisiensis chori
    moderatore. 1634.
    FWIW, as nobody commented on my post above, here also is my attempt at the 1753 version of the French Oratory D N J C. Note also for meaning of note lengths, that the 1753 is emphatic that this chant is sung speech, and the notation is intended to represent the syllable lengths of speech.

The 1753 is here at page 24 - https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k9771904h
    and the 1634 is here at page 183 - https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k11663659
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • francis
    A_f_hawkins

Just a bit of comic relief… Your file came in at 666K
    Thanked by 2a_f_hawkins tomjaw