Need help identifying hymn book
  • In the extensive library of my church I found a little pocket book of 122 short polyphonic pieces for men's chorus by the likes of Grassi, Thermignon, Cipolla, Pitoni, etc. about the first half of the book is missing, so I don't know what the compilation was called, who published it or when - any ideas?
  • Phinneas Publick,

First: Welcome to the comment side of the Forum.

Now, it's possible that someone hereabouts will recognize the book immediately, without anything more than you've provided. Can you, for the rest of us, post a copy of a page, something to give us a clue about when/where it was published?

Just on what you've provided, I would think it was published with the help of a group in this country which provided a "White List". I can't recall the name, but one composer the group promoted was Nicolo Montani. See if his work is there.
  • GerardH
    @PhinneasPublick Sounds similar to Oreste Ravanello's Secunda Anthologia Vocalis. I gather that he published other collections, but none are available on the internet. If it is one of these it could certainly be of interest to some forum members.
  • WGS
    Maybe, as you suggest, it is the "Prima" preceding the famous "Secunda". I have always wondered about that.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Do they really both have exactly 122 pieces?
    Thanked by 1GerardH
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I think the mystery is resolved here: Anthologia vocalis liturgica ... Vol. 1, ed. by F. Hamma; v. 2, ed. by O. Ravanello; v. 3-4, ed. by J. Pagella.
    Thanked by 2GerardH WGS
  • GerardH
    Do they really both have exactly 122 pieces?

Good spot, I hadn't noticed that. I also didn't spot that the Secunda has separate indices for old composers and modern composers, and at first glance I didn't see the names of all those mentioned above. Turns out they're all there, so it could well be a fragment of the Secunda after all.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    All but 14 of the works of the Secunda are available at CPDL.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Attached are two different printings of SECUNDA ANTHOLOGIA VOCALIS I have in my collection. Each contains 122 items. The upper copy was published in Rome by C. Casimiri. Apparently, McLaughlin & Reilly obtained the rights to the publication; and the cover of their printing is in the lower copy.
    2514 x 3467 - 2M
    Thanked by 2Don9of11 CHGiffen