Ave Verum Corpus - New Composition
  • Drake
    I would like to share my newly-completed motet, perhaps pending a tweak here and there. Comments and feedback are welcome. Free PDF download (creative commons) and digital playback are available at the following link:

http://www.catholicliving.net/ave-verum-corpus-drake/
  • Drake,
    A fine piece of work, and intriguing.
    May I suggest that you elongate the Amen?
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks so much for sharing this! It is (a) beautiful, and (b) inspired.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    Chris,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will definitely consider it. Sometimes I get a little impatient and just want to be done.
  • Fine work, Drake. I hope this joins the treasury of the other great settings of this text.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    This week, I received a recording of my Ave Verum setting from Nicholas Botkins, choirmaster at the Basilica of St. John the Evangelist in Stamford, Connecticut. I have posted it, with permission, on my website:

http://www.catholicliving.net/recording-of-ave-verum-corpus-at-the-basilica-of-st-john/

This is the first opportunity I've had to hear this composition actually sung, and I think Mr. Botkin's schola sang and interpreted it wonderfully! I am most impressed by this schola's purity of tone. I hope you will take a few minutes to listen.

This is also the first recording made of any of my compositions, that I am aware of, outside of my own parish. Naturally, I am delighted!
  • I am grateful that you have brought this work into being. It is truly inspired.
    I didn't, though, hear Palestrina so much as Parsons throughout. One can just hear those English boys floating magically on your high treble parts - as only the English did - and still do.
    Thanked by 2Drake CHGiffen
  • francis
    Beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    Very delightful piece Drake, continue to produce and get recordings as splendid as this.
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    MJO, my wife agrees with your assessment of the similarity to Parsons. I had the Agnus 2 of Palestrina’s Missa Brevis in mind when considering the style of the first section. What is interesting is that in my time singing in our choir, we had only sung one piece by Parsons, his Ave Maria, whereas we had sung quite a bit of Palestrina. I suppose I was more influenced by it than I realized. I’m not disappointed by that at all!

Thank you—and all of you—for your very kind words and encouragement.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The lovely recording shines glowing light on your Ave verum corpus. And I agree with MJO's impression about the Parsons aura. This is truly a work of art.
  • I repeat what I've said elsewhere on this forum: I'm SO HEARTENED to know that composers are still writing BEAUTIFUL music in service of Our Lord. Praised be Jesus!
  • Heath
    Beautiful!
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Drake, what a lovely motet! Thank you!
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • This is gorgeous!
    Thanked by 1Drake