Litaniae Sanctorum : Accompaniment in Hybrid Notation : by Koerber
  • francis
    Working on this for a few weeks, is a big undertaking. Thought I would share progress. About 10 pages completed so far.

Audio Demo
    http://myopus.com/preview/audioDemo01.mp3

Illuminated Manuscript Demo
    http://myopus.com/preview/layoutDemo01.pdf
  • ServiamScores
    I just love these. So beautiful. And you engrave them in a way that would make them fit for a beautiful leather-bound edition.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • francis
    @ServiamScores

Thanks for the thumbs up... Do you know anything about leatherbinding editions? I would like to know more.
  • RevAMG
    I highly recommend Grimm Book Bindery (Madison, Wisconsin). They can do leather bindings and handwork. www.grimmbindery.com
    Thanked by 2WGS francis
  • davido
    Are there some errors in the pointing? Seems inconsistent “Michael, Gabriel, Joseph”
  • francis
    The alternatives for chanting the names of the angels and Joseph in this fashion come from the Antiphonale Sacrosancte Romanae Ecclesiae Pro Diurnis Horis. I think I got the link from Jonathan.

I am attaching the pages that include this litany.

I don't know why these options are included, but I thought they might raise some eyebrows. Guess it worked.
  • francis
    Perhaps Jonathan has some comments?
  • Andrew_Malton
    It seems that the half mediant or broken mediant was slightly controversial. It was normal ("traditional") to use it by the end of the 19th, but Solesmes wanted to "restore" what they (rightly) saw as the older ("more traditional" :-) ) usage of the regular Latin mediation.

Solesmes submitted a dubium and the SCR allowed both, on July 8 1912 (see Johner p 69 or Suñol p 178)

I really like the sound of the broken mediation, although I admit it surprised me here.

I also love the layout of the page, Francis.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Joseph and the angels hold a very unique place in the cosmos... the intonation for them is almost a pleading question for a dire response.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • francis
    Andrew

Can you post the citation? I am not finding the reference.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Dom. D. Johner CSB, A New School Of Gregorian Chant, Pustet, 1925. p. 69
    Dom. G. Suñol, Text Book Of Gregorian Chant, trans. G. M. Durnford, Desclée, 1929. p. 178.

I've seen this issue discussed elsewhere in more recent work. Maybe Ruff mentions it.
    535 x 532 - 337K
    720 x 518 - 264K
    Thanked by 1francis