Sacred Heart OP rite
  • JesJes
    Can someone explain why OP rite has so many different propers for Sacred Heart depending on which missal/gradual. What does an OP cantor sing on Sacred Heart?
  • Jes,

Excuse my ignorance, but by OP do you mean Dominicans?
  • tomjaw
    The Roman Rite EF has (at least) 3 sets of Propers...
    My Paroissien Romain 1923 ed. has all 3, the new current version is added with a number of other additional supplements in the back!

In the Sanctoral cycle (as in the 1924 Graduale) can be found the following,
    INT. Miserebitur secundum
    EP. Is. 12
    GRAD. O vos omnes
    ALL. Discite a me
    TRACT. Ego Autem
    ALL. PT. Domine Deus + Convertisti
    EV. John 19 31-35
    OFF. Benedic anima mea
    COM. Improperium
    EDIT You can find the GABC of this Mass see the above links but not the Offertory, but the scan can be found on the Communion page.

Also in the Pro aliquibus locis
    INT. Egredimini et videte
    EP. Eph. 3
    GRAD. Dicite filiae Sion
    ALL. Discite a me
    TRACT. Ego Autem (GABC see above)
    ALL. PT. Domine Deus + Convertisti (GABC see above)
    EV. John 15
    OFF. Domine Deus
    COM. Gustate et Videte

A 1929 supplement has the usual Propers,
    http://www.introibo.fr/Fete-du-Sacre-Coeur#inter2
    http://www.gregorianbooks.com/p.php?p=JO245|0|422|740|700,JO246,JO247,JO248,JO249,JO250,JO251

EDIT have added links to the music.
  • PLTT
    This is because of different Mass formularies of the Sacred Heart - if one expands to the propers of dioceses and religious orders, there is further variation.

Up until 1929, there were 2 chief Masses of the Sacred Heart. They reflected two different historical emphases in the devotion. The Mass "Miserebitur" shows the origins of the devotion, as related to the "Passion" feasts, especially the feast of the Five Wounds (which was the first 'official' Mass of the Sacred Heart granted by a Pope). It was celebrated in red vestments, used (at first) the Preface of the Cross, etc. and generally reflected the themes of sacrifice, injury, reparation, etc. This was the Mass that was used when the feast was extended to the universal Church by Pius IX.

The second Mass "Egredimini" was granted toward the end of the 18th century by Pius VI (who defended the devotion against the Jansenists in Auctorem Fidei) to certain countries and dioceses. This Mass emphasizes the Heart of Jesus as an object of love, glory, thanksgiving, blessing, etc. It was celebrated in white vestments, used the Preface of Christmas [at that time also used for other feasts like Corpus Christi], etc.

In 1929, a completely new Mass with a proper Preface was promulgated under Pius XI, replacing the other two (aside from very few places which retained the Egredimini Mass). It was celebrated in white vestments but stressed the reparative-sacrificial element of the devotion, though it combined the themes of both Masses.

There are two other Masses that one can also find in the propers/appendices:

The first was used by some religious orders, especially the Eudists, and was composed by St. John Eudes: "Gaudeamus omnes" (the familiar introit, but adapted for the Sacred Heart). Like the Mass Egredimini, Eudes emphasized the aspects of the Heart as a symbol of interiority (a result of the French School of Spirituality also seen in the Sulpicians, Vincentians, LaSallians, etc.) and the adoration and thanksgiving to be paid to it. The second was the Mass "Venite ad me", which was used for a while, especially in the dioceses of France, also with similar themes.

ETA: as far as I can see, checking the Dominican liturgical books, the Mass Cogitationes completely replaced Egredimini, and so only Cogitationes should be used.

• JesJes
    Yes OP = Dom :)

Thank you! Yes, the priest wondered why I wasn't doing egredimini...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen