(Proper) Sequences in the EF
  • CCoozeCCooze
    ...for example, the Lauda Sion for today:

Is it (ever) permissible to shorten them (for example, the way the OF simply starts it at "Ecce Panis Angelorum")?
  • tomjaw
    No... Unless the Easter sequence when we leave out a line (committed in the Trent Missal?) Although some of the Sequences not used had shorter versions...
  • madorganist
    No. But see the first paragraph here concerning historic performance practice of the Dies irae: https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04787a.htm
    On rare occasions when time has been a genuine concern (e.g. an anniversary Requiem High Mass in the middle of the workday), I have chanted the odd stanzas recto tono. For today's sequence, you could chant everything up to "Ecce panis" recto tono, but the prescribed text cannot be omitted.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Thank you.
    I was out of town, but heard the sequence start at "Ecce..." while listening in the car, and was very surprised. I couldn't find anything to support doing so, but wanted a clear-cut answer for anyone here who might be considering it in the future.

Next question... what happens because of this?
    It was wrong, but are there any effects to having done so?
  • Corinne,
    The celebration is illicit, but not invalid.
    Beyond that, there's a request from the Holy See to report abuses of the liturgy, but it's always a good idea to discover whether this was done by clumsiness or incompetence or ignorance instead of malice.
  • quilisma
    In the Ordinary Form, it is permitted to start the sequence at Ecce Panis.
    In the EF the integrity is preserved.

But maybe, as the priest pretty much recites everything that is then sung, you could say that the integrity of the text was preserved - just not sung.
  • chonakchonak
    <aside>
    What a time we live in, that we can hear the Sequence from an EF Mass in the car!

I still remember the first-time wonder of riding in my car sometime in the early 2000s, at night, rolling over the hills of the Pennsylvania Turnpike while listening to my Palm Treo 600 phone (yes, that long ago!) playing streaming audio (such a new thing!) over the internet, live, from Germany (yes, that far away!). It was a marvel.

And now, we can listen to an EF Mass in the car, and not just a Mass celebrated in a studio but in an actual church, and perhaps even a relatively ordinary church. It's still amazing.
    </aside>