High-quality devotional solo voice repertoire
  • Schönbergian
    I'm looking for some sacred vocal repertoire of higher quality than the usual schlock (Schubert, "Bach"-Gounod), specifically for non-liturgical use. Some of the Wolf sacred selections and Hindemith's motets have proven to be exceptional, and I'm interested in other material along that vein. I'm comfortable with most languages.
  • Buxtehude wrote quite a number of solo cantatas..
    If I'm remembering correctly there are some by Distler.
    There are, by Britten, the 'Holy Sonnets of John Donne'.
    Also by Britten is a charming little song, 'The Birds', about Jesus's childhood.
    There is Mozart's Exultate jubilate.
    Also, his Laudate Dominum from the Solemn Vespers for a Confessor, which can be sung with a second solo voice in place of the choral section.
  • JL
    Schuetz's Kleine gestliche Konzerte is an excellent source as well. Dover publishes an affordable edition.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • jcr
    Look over Beethoven's "Sechs Lieder von Gellert". There are also some Eric Thiman songs in a collection called "The Church Soloist". There is also a collection called "Sing Solo Christmas" edited by John Carol Case published by Oxford University Press. Dvorak's "Biblical Songs" have found their way into quite a few recital programs. I have used only one of the songs from Jack C. Goode's "Seven Sacred Songs" (Abingdon Press) but a couple of the others captured my interest. These are a few pieces that might interest you if they are still available and they suit your taste. In general, the craftsmanship is pretty good on the newer ones and they sing well.
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • davido
    https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=740200
    The above comes in a variety of keys.

See the arias from Mendelssohn’s Lauda Sion. They can sometimes be found in English translation.

https://www.amazon.com/Solos-Church-Soloist-High-Voice/dp/0769299318
    This ones comes in high and low keys
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The "Five Mystical Songs" of Ralph Vaughan Williams might be good choices.
  • Schönbergian
    Alas, Chuck, I'm a tenor. Know the Five intimately and adore them, but not quite my repertoire.
  • davido
    Handel Chandos Anthems.
    Vaughan Williams Four Hymns
  • There is
    an absolutely charming duet for Christmas by Donal Swann entitled Jesu parvule.
  • ? Is this someone different from The Drop of Another Hat?
  • jcr
    You might be interested in "Psalm Settings", a set by Vaclav Nelhybel. Some years ago I considered them for a program. I didn't use them, but they are nice settings of four psalms. Agape Press They lie well for a tenor or high baritone.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Do you have access to this music, @jcr? I looked on the University of Scranton's Nelhybel information page, which directed me to Hope Publishing's website, but I couldn't find that particular piece/set of pieces. I would definitely be interested!
  • jcr
    Yes, I have a copy of the set. I haven't shopped much lately. Perhaps we can arrange to share this material in some way. If the publisher's code on my copy is 536 if that is any help. Let me know where you are (PA?) and let's see if we can get these to you some way.
  • jcr
    I'm back. I couldn't get a listing of the collection, but I left a message on email for them to see if some permissions might be granted to make a copy or two. The copyright date is 1981 on these, so I would think that it would be more accessible. It is unfortunate that decent material is so difficult to locate now. I think I understand what you are interested in and I wish you success in being able to enhance the liturgy with some supplementary music of high quality. This is all too often a tough sell. I'll let you know what the response is to my inquiry.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Sent you an PM, @jcr
  • jcr
    I'm not sure how to send a PM. I got your message. Hope offers no hope for a copy from them, but I have asked about a license. I'll let you know what I learn about that. We are just down the road about an hour and a half from you. It should be possible to get a copy to you by any of several means. Let's see if we can get a license.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • chonakchonak
    (To send a PM, click on the username, and the user's page will have a link for sending a message.)