Mass of Thanksgiving
  • PolskaPiano
    I am privileged to pray for a new priest's Mass of Thanksgiving (OF). He would like the Entrance and the Communion antiphons chanted for mass as well as the Pange Lingua (because it is a personal favorite) as the offertory. I am seeking advice on the following:

-Entrance antiphon- I have never had the opportunity to use this at mass. Forgive my elementary questions: Is the antiphon sung after ever verse or after all the verses? or, is it permissible to sing the antiphon and transition to a congregational entrance hymn?

-His favorite hymn is Pange Lingua but I feel odd about using it at the offertory. Thoughts?

I appreciate your insights. Please pray for the soon to be Fr. Orris.
  • Schönbergian
    Singing the antiphon after the entrance hymn seems to make more sense to me and offers a satisfying decrescendo into the Liturgy of the Word.
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano
  • Andrew_Malton
    We've tried singing the Antiphon once before the hymn -- so that the Mass starts with its Antiphon (and also with sacred text), then singing the hymn and procession if appropriate, and then the Antiphon again (stopping the hymn) as the priest "enters" the sanctuary.

If he censes the altar then there's time to sing a verse of the psalm and repeat the Antiphon.

You can sing the Antiphon between verses or only after the last verse (or the Gloria patri if used).

• davido
    In the old mass, Entrance chant goes;
    Antiphon
    One verse
    Glory be
    Antiphon

In the new mass, the GIRM doesn’t seem to envision using a hymn and Antiphon, rather one or the other, but using both is fine. I prefer hymn for procession, Antiphon during incensation. Sometimes only have time for the Antiphon with no verses. It’s flexible

Why does iOS keep autocapitalizing Antiphon?
  • a_f_hawkins
    In summary antiphon and verses alternate, for as long as needed. There is a translation of the intro to GR, by our forum administator, here, the guidance for the Introit is on page 8. Treatment of the Communion is similar. GS advice is on similar lines.
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano
  • a_f_hawkins
    Also note that GIRM gives great flexibilty in substituting another psalm of the season. Therefor it is permissable throughout Ordinary Time to use the Communion of the Fourteenth Sunday - 'Taste and see' with its Psalm 34(33V) which has the advantage of length as well as suitabilty, I imagine there will be a good crowd (Covid-19 permitting).
    We should ask, is this in Latin or English, because if in English you might be using something like Meinrad tones and Revised Grail Psalms, in which the vesrses are grouped in stanzas, which can also be alternated with the antiphon. Flexibilty
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I prefer hymn for procession, Antiphon during incensation. Sometimes only have time for the Antiphon with no verses. It’s flexible

I agree with this. It's worked very effectively for me in the past.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    In our parish (OF), the hymn is sung until the priest reaches the altar and then the Antiphon is chanted by the cantor, no verses are done unless the priest incenses.
    You can watch our live streaming video at https://stpaulakron.org/social-media
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano
  • Caleferink
    Re: Pange Lingua at Offertory: When is the Mass? If it's on Corpus Christi, I would say it's a solid choice. If it's another day, you might suggest to him using it during Communion after the antiphon. I've gotten to play/conduct the first Masses of two priests and attended a third. It's quite the honor and privilege to get to do these.
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano