Perspective
  • francis
    Christe exaudi nos.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • If you were born in 1970, you likely have experienced nothing but turmoil, change, omnipresent instability at Mass, so you think this is "normal" in the sense of "every day occurrence". Beautiful music (at Mass or elsewhere) is part of your experience if you have been given a very special grace.

If you were born in 1960, you have memories of First Penance and First Holy Communion in peaceful order, at least at Mass, but your elementary school years were difficult and your teen years (already tumultuous) were filled with constantly moving expectations.

This might be fun to explore, musically..
  • francis
    Interesting post, but the basic problem with this conclusion is that we were not made to sit on our couches... so from that point on, it completely goes south.

According to JC, THIS is our Modus Operandi.

It closes the last chapter of Luke, and sums up the entirety of Christian life, short and sweet and to the point.

It is the end of the Gospel story.

1. Go out there.
    2. Adore God.
    3. Help those who doubt.
    4. Baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
    5. Teach them the Faith.

...and don't forget, God is with us even to the consummation of the world... which might be sooner than we think.

16] And the eleven disciples went into Galilee, unto the mountain where Jesus had appointed them. [17] And seeing him they adored: but some doubted. [18] And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. [19] Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I thought it was interesting, until the "stay home and sit on the couch" part. *face-palm*

As one person commented on this post, elsewhere:
    "My grandparents were all born in the 1910s, so they lived through all of this.
    If I complained about algebra, they’d have said, “That’s why I dropped out of school and went to work.”
    If I complained about mean kids, they’d have told me about mean kids they knew as kids and how they or their numerous siblings fought back.
    I can’t say for certain what they would say about the lockdown, but they hated idleness, so my bet is that they would consider staying home and sitting on the couch the worst thing of all."
    Thanked by 3francis tomjaw Elmar
  • CatherineS
    I was talking about this with a younger friend this morning. She said her grandma would never have stayed home, nor worn a mask, were she alive today. She wouldn't hear of taking vaccines or vitamins, walked her own elderly self to Church every day, did her own shopping, and refused to be idle or ask for help. I have another friend with a grandma like that - she travels miles on the subway and on foot in a not very safe city, peppy as a pepper, talks your ear off, and won't hear of being treated like she's old or in need of protection. I have aunts like that, too. I think it might be less generational than age-related. You get to a certain age and you just can't bear all these young upstarts telling you what you should do, as if they know anything about life. I'm 50-some and starting to be more cantankerous and unwilling to tolerate nonsense every year. When I was 20-something I was largely a non-stop source of nonsense and couldn't bear to be criticized for it by elders who thought they knew more than I did. So I am my own useless anecdotal example. ;)
  • Liam
    Except that vaccines are not nonsense.
  • Ken of Sarum
    Liam, very true IF they are not contaminated as many professional medical experts suggests.
  • Liam,

Vaccines aren't nonsense, but it is still reasonable to refuse them for all sorts of reasons, and I'm not a typical anti-vaxxer. [Digression cut short.]
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • francis
    O jeez... Let’s not run down the rabbit hole on vaccines on this thread thank you very much. And I am not starting one on vaccines as I have to pace myself on polarizing material.
  • CatherineS
    Due to having been attacked by a dog a couple years ago I am now immune to rabies, which allows me to joke "Hey, if you ever need help catching a bat or other stray wildlife that gets in your house, just call me."

The point of my earlier anecdote was just about the general stubborn independence of older folks. The vaccine controversies weren't even on my mind. I've got them all, from measles to yellow fever. ;)
  • francis
    Catherine...

Np

Your mention was fine... I was just seeing the beginnings of sides
  • PaxMelodious
    When this all kicked off, we had some older people take the view "I don't care if the virus gets me, I'm old and have lived, so I'm not taking precautions".

Most were put back in their box by the observation that if they got sick, they would likely end up in a hospital being cared for by far younger doctors and nurses who would be risking their lives in doing so.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Let's not forget that 1) that is their job, and 2) that can be argued for anything, including the flu; which is cited as more than a few CODs each year.