Something amiss in CPDL score...solutions?
  • Heath
    Friends, the penultimate bar in this duet seems to be a 5/2 bar(?)...it still sings, somewhat, but I know it can't be right.

I can't seem to find any other scores of the original online to compare it to. Thoughts on what's happening here?

http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/6/67/Praetorius_-_Tu_septiformis_munere.pdf
  • Schönbergian
    Byrd sometimes adds duration to a "measure" as well, which has been notated differently by different editors. I don't see anything particularly amiss.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Richard R.
    The original would not have had any barlines, so this is the editor's best guess. Most modern published editions would somehow make this regular, or change the meter, which seems more confusing to me.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • a_f_hawkins
    Just wondering if it as simple as finding the typesetting program wants to add another page with other solutions?
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The cantus partbook at least is easy enough to find.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • SalieriSalieri
    I think its a silly way of typesetting this. This verse is in C (alla semibreve), with the tactus on the Semibreve (whole note), a typical kind of note nere, basically analogous to common time, yet the final note is a Longa (quadruple whole note) which would be incredibly long if actually counted out, so is really only signalling the end of the piece---a common practice, whether in C or cut-C---and needn't really be transcribed literally. What I would have done is kept everything in C (or 4/2 here, with two semibreves to a bar) until the very last bar, which I would have set as two Semi-minims followed by a Breve, or even just a dotted semibreve with a fermata if I didn't feel like reformatting the bar. (Sample attached)
    Thanked by 2GerardH Heath
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I see how it seems funny at first glance, but treat the a/b dissonance as a downbeat and things do fall into place.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Heath
    Very helpful, all, thanks!