Organum Duplum Mass Setting
  • JesJes
    Looking for organum duplum mass settings I could do with a Tenor.

Anybody know where to find the sheet music? It's killing me really not knowing where to look.

He could potentially do neumes, I am easy with neumes. Preference for him would be modern notation though.

PS Missed you all.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Are you lucky enough to have open libraries? One of the errands I'll have do when the California shelter-in-place orders are lifted is to return vol. XII of Polyphonic Music of the Fourteenth Century, containing Italian works not in the Ciconia, Perusio, Teramo volumes. Among the 2-voice mass movements are Glorias (2.5), Credos (5), Sanctus (2) and one Agnus. The rest of the series is also worth perusing!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I would love more information about that when you are able to provide it, Richard Mix!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    When I hit a stopping point in Beethoven Lieder I might prepare something; of special interest in vol. xii is of course the appendix with the codex Faenza intabulations.

Another strategy is to try the CPDL multi-category search, which for 2vv /Mass or Mass fragments /a cappella gives 10 hits, including a Kyrie Magne Deus from Trent 93.
  • JesJes
    Yes, I have come across the materials on CPDL.

It doesn't look like a mass like Kyrie, Gloria etc. For two voices accapella organum is up there.

I don't have open libraries? Sounds like I should check it out. Thanks!
  • a_f_hawkins
    Try Googling OCLC Number: 491470464 to look for a library near you. The 'Polyphonic ... ' books are in copyright, the Hathi Trust has it online for those with academic credentials.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'm sure you know about Parisian organum duplum already (Wikipedia's Pérotin has a good bibliography and Roesner's newish Magnus Liber volumes are a delight) and other Ars antiqua repertories. These are mostly (if not indeed entirely) concerned with proper items and it would be surprising to discover mass ordinary movements that predate the Ars nova. Hence PMot14c! There are English and French traditions to explore, as well as the one volume I have to hand, with mass movements from a handful of named Florentines and some anonymous northerners. The one that I imagine would be most useful in your circumstances is a Gloria/Agnus pair by 'Gherardello', the only music that is for voices a 5th apart instead of equal in range.
  • JesJes
    I ended up writing my own and it worked pretty well. It's designed for OP liturgy.
    I'd like to think my mentors would be proud. Haha
  • JesJes
    For those who asked - here is the recording https://www.facebook.com/OPRiteMonash/videos/280164789688427/ - go to 18 minutes in for the start of mass. We include various kinds of organum. Sorry it is relatively soft.
    Of course I didn't notate the parallel organum we used for the introit verse - but the ad lib stuff I wrote out. Kyrie, Alleluia, Sanctus and Agnus Dei all have an ad lib section.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen