Director of Music - Lehigh Acres, Florida
  • St. Raphael's Catholic Church in Lehigh Acres, Florida is looking for a Director of Music to start possibly as soon as June 14, 2009. Ability to serve as an organist, cantor, and choirmaster are necessary. All of the Masses for which the Director of Music is responsible use music primarily from the Adoremus Hymnal and Introit Hymns for the Church Year with some Latin Ordinaries and choral music, and an understanding of the musical tradition in Catholic liturgy is necessary for the planning of the music. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to the address listed below before Friday, June 6. For more information, contact George Bagan, the present Director of Music, at gebagan@gmail.com.

Rev. Dennis Cooney
    St. Raphael's Catholic Church
    2514 Lee Blvd.
    Lehigh Acres, FL 33971
  • Alternately, and preferably, the application requirements listed above can be emailed to marianneburgener@comcast.net due to the short time frame.
  • Having written and requested a status report on tgheir filling the position, I received a very short and rather blunt email today that this position has been filled. Of course, it was signed with "Yours in Christ..."
  • I got a letter of rejection today (on the website of the Methodist Church it says the church choir got to vote on the final 3) with the envelope addressed to:

Joel Jones

And inside it said, "Dear Mr. Joel Jones."

They obviously don't know my name is Frogman. This is the first actual rejection letter I have gotten. None of the others have even bothered to call for an interview or anything, except one that insisted that I give the dates of my employment....can you spell Age Discrimination?

And, look at the map. Lehigh means poodle-eating alligators, snakes AND huge cockroaches walking across the ceiling overhead while you are trying to sleep. And that's only in the classy housing. [Palmetto Bugs is the code word down there for disgustingly huge cockroaches, I'm convinced.]
  • G
    Lehigh means poodle-eating alligators,

You say that like it's a baaaaad thing...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • The position has been filled. Thank you to all who applied.

A clarification regarding the comment above by frogman noel jones: It seems that the entirety of the comment with the exception of the part about Lehigh Acres was not about this position since we neither have a website nor had the church choir vote on any candidates. It looks like the comment is a response to the one above it.
  • Many, many apologies to George Bagan, the good people, alligators, snakes [but not the bugs] in Southern Florida.

My comments were in reference to a Knoxville Methodist church. Sent application in, nothing. Months later, it was re-advertised, contacted told they were still processing apps.

I will say that it was refreshing to see the Lehigh job posting that was clear, told the time frame, took applications, responded to people in a very timely manner and hired within the time frame that they indicated was expedient for them.

So many churches are miserably deficient in their hiring and employment practices. Lehigh does not deserve to be painted with brush and I see how my post could have done so. It's been altered. Thanks, George.
  • Not a problem, Mr. Jones. I just thought I'd clarify in case anyone was confused. And I agree about the lack of apology to the bugs.
  • francis
    I volunteer a couple of the poodles from my neighborhood!
  • I just wish alligators ate cane toads. They are a menace to poodles and all dogs here in S. Florida.
  • Alligators, unlike directors of music, can be trained, I believe.
  • francis
    hmmm... don't about training them, but I have met a few alligators on some music committees that ate ME alive.