The State of the Arts and Other Reflections
  • rich_enough
    Just a PSA that calling into question the current policy is not "denying science."

We now go back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw dad29
  • jpnz71
    Current policy is based on the advice and collective knowledge/experience of the overwhelming majority of professional medical and scientific experts, so questioning current policy is the same as questioning/denying the science that is informing the policy. Denigrating or belittling, and yes, even questioning the professional medical and scientific experts is a dark hallmark of 21st Century life, and those doing the couch potato, or basement internet connection potato, questioning are guilty of the highest arrogance and hubris. These experts have dedicated their lives to the pursuit of knowledge in their respective fields, and the application of this knowledge in pursuit of improving the human condition. Who on this forum is qualified to question this vast collective knowledge and expertise? Many of you criticizing and denigrating the "experts" are first in line to strenuously object when your liturgical/musical expertise is questioned or overruled by a pastor or people in the pews. Do you like it when this happens? Apply the same standard to your observations re: medical and scientific experts, and the policies they promote.
  • tomjaw
    You really believe that we have a consensus? Not even close, The top Oxford University group has a totally different view to Imperial College... Who would be the 'expert'? Oxford has a higher research rank! Sweden is working to a different plan to say Italy, the U.K. is working to a different plan to France, Germany is different to Singapore. Who is right? which set of experts? We still have no evidence that lockdowns work, the theory is good but the evidence is absent.

Of course if we have experts that are always seen to be 'correct', only because they are 'experts'. This is the end of science and the beginning of a new religion. The scientific method and science in general only works if we question our knowledge and test it. We have to work by trial and error, we have to admit when we are wrong and correct the flaws in our theory. The scientific method is simple!
    The big problem modern science has is it is easy for people to believe in science as a religion that can solve our problems. When that god fails it causes problems... this causes a build up of a distrust in experts. Blaming those that have lost faith in science is not the way forward.

Anyway tomorrow I will be back to the job that pays my bills, teaching science!
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • jpnz71
    All experts agree on two things - a virus like covid-19 will respond to two things, and two things only; a vaccine; or, in the absence of a vaccine, social distancing. Cite an expert who argues otherwise.
  • francis
    Many of you criticizing and denigrating the "experts" are first in line to strenuously object when your liturgical/musical expertise is questioned or overruled by a pastor or people in the pews.

Can't be a comparison... that wouldn't be scientific...

Reasons...

We have about 2000 years of study, history, tradition and organic development on the liturgy and billions of people who have been using it over the entire course of Christianity... the 'fools' (whether in the pews or in the rectory ignore it all... at their own peril).

The virus? It is brand spanking new.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • jpnz71
    The virus is new. There are, however, experts in the medical and scientific fields who have spent their lives studying infectious diseases, old and new. They are the most informed, and have the most experience, when it comes to how we should respond to this particular brand spanking new virus. To suggest that because it is new, we are all equally equipped to address how to respond to it, is absurd.
  • rich_enough
    Turns out some scientists (aka experts) interviewed in a recent article in Newsweek bring up some of the same concerns as tomjaw: "Forecasts predicting the total number of deaths from COVID-19 may be wildly inaccurate because we do not know key information about the virus. This includes how many people have had it, whether people who recover will develop lasting antibodies to protect from it, how well people are observing social distancing measures—and how long they will be willing to do it for."

As the article points out, the initial death estimates were in the 100,000 - 200,000 range and are now in the 60,000 range. So we don't need an expert to tell us that the expert opinion has changed. This is not belittle the experts, but simply to point out they are no all-knowing and don't have all the answers - as they themselves freely point out in the article. The data we have simply can't give us the certainty you seem to think we can put in what the experts are saying - and this according to the experts themselves.

Who on this forum is qualified to question this vast collective knowledge and expertise?

No one has to be - we're simply citing the experts who disagree with each other. Which ones are we supposed to believe? That's where our God-given reason come in . . . Your comment assumes a consensus where none exists.

Yes, it's generally a good idea to defer to experts where they have competence, but I think a sort of blind faith or universal deference to them is dangerous. Whether or not we should have a complete economic lockdown, when and how it should end, whether or not we should have confessions, etc. are policy questions that are not "scientific" (though science has a role to play in answering them). It's a matter of prudence and public discourse, not pure science. Reasonable people can disagree without name calling and labeling.

Many of you criticizing and denigrating the 'experts' are first in line to strenuously object when your liturgical/musical expertise is questioned or overruled by a pastor or people in the pews.

It's not my "expertise" they are questioning but rather the wisdom of the Church. (I didn't come up with the conclusion that Gregorian chant is the proper music of the Roman rite.) The science on COVID-19 is brand new and constantly being updated and changed, while the Church has a 2,000 year old heritage of sacred music (no one is questioning the germ theory of disease here.) So the comparison is hardly apt. Even in the case of the liturgy, prudence and required in the application of the Church's teaching. Simply quoting the documents and demanding obedience is a sure strategy for failure, not because the Church's teaching is wrong, but because you are demanding an absolute or immediate application of this teaching where it is not called for.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The sower of discord doesn't miss many chances, and globally considered there isn't even a consensus on the true religion. One can wonder though whether science-consensus deniers are interested in scientific debate or whether the agenda is to undermine trust in any sense of reality. Today I read this paragraph from the The New Yorker:
    “With the technology we have now, we can see Trump saying the opposite of what he just said. And yet it seems to have no effect.” To explain this phenomenon, he reached for his copy of Arendt’s “Origins of Totalitarianism,” flipping through a few pages until he found the phrase he was looking for: “the perpetual-motion mania of totalitarian movements.” I thought that he was going to point to another sentence from the same book: “The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that . . . one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust that if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism.”
  • chonakchonak
    The natural sciences can tell us what is happening, and can predict what will happen under certain circumstances.

However, their methodology does not extend to values questions. That implies that they are unable, by themselves, to answer questions of what should be done, given the benefits and costs of the available options. Those trade-offs are prudential and moral judgments.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw a_f_hawkins
  • dad29
    a virus like covid-19 will respond to two things, and two things only; a vaccine; or, in the absence of a vaccine, social distancing

And a virus with a 0.01% death rate--like Flu-A or -B, is a risk, like driving a car or operating heavy equipment--or crossing one's wife.

So what?

Frankly, your playing of the "Christian Card" is more obnoxious than playing the "race card"--mostly because your utilization borders on sacrilege. Back off your holy-card imitation, please.

[Admin note: please avoid cranking up the flames.]
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • jpnz71
    And a virus with a 0.01% death rate--like Flu-A or -B

People who say or write that covid-19 has a 0.01% death rate are spreading dangerous misinformation. It is irresponsible to do so, or to allow such information to remain posted. It's not even worth my time to post a link to a reputable source to refute this - responsible people can find dozens, if not hundreds of links to organizations with current, accurate information that show covid death rates that are rooted in reality, not anti-science conspiracy theories. Also - sowing chaos and confusion by spreading demonstrably false information can't possibly be a Christian thing to do, can it?
  • z z z z z z z z ....
    Thanked by 1CatherineS
  • JPNZ71,

If it's true that a great many people are carriers of the disease than are sick with it or than die from it, the Dad29 may have a point. Published numbers of acknowledged cases gives a death rate of 3 percent or thereabouts, but if the number who don't even know they have the disease is much, much higher because the disease is so contagious and young people must be kept off the beach and others must be kept out of their churches, surely a 0.01% rate is, scientifically speaking, much more realistic?

To pick up Chonak's dangling thread: science may be able to tell us the course of action most likely to yield some result, but I don't think it's equipped to answer the question "what SHOULD we do?", since those aren't the same question.

[Jumping the tracks to try to comment on the thread's title]

We have (somewhere) a list of Catholic musicians who have died and who are remembered in a long prayer list. Are there any whom we know, personally or professionally whom this virus [or something else during the time of pandemic] has sent to his eternal reward? We've been discussing the big-picture damage to the arts, but would it be proper, also, to count deaths of individual musicians? Come to think of it, has any good come to the arts because of the current pestilence?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • dad29
    Published numbers of acknowledged cases gives a death rate of 3 percent or thereabouts

Two California studies, both released this week, (Stanford and USC) indicate that the death rate is 0.1%, indeed. They covered over 7,000 individuals in California and found that far more people had the disease than has been suspected. The rate is comparable to the Flu-A or -B.
  • jpnz71
    z z z z z z z z ....

I doubt I would see such a post if the topic were doing all we could to prevent abortions. This demonstrates that for so many, many Catholics, respect for the sanctity of life lasts from conception until birth, and after birth, in the words of another previous post, who cares.

[Admin note: please avoid cranking up the flames.]
  • Drake
    As an outside observer of this thread (until now), I am getting weary of and even offended by the non sequiturs being inserted here, which pretend to know the minds, hearts, and consciences of other members of this forum and make blanket statements impugning them.

Case in point:
    [F]or so many, many Catholics, respect for the sanctity of life lasts from conception until birth ..."

To my knowledge, I have never met any Catholic for which that is a just description. It certainly does not describe me. I would have a very, very hard time believing it describes any Catholic member of this forum.

Aspersions of this kind are not intellectually honest for many reasons. Among these reasons is the failure of such assertions to make distinctions, such as the distinction between murder and natural death or the distinction between the ordinary and extraordinary means of preserving life.

If the goal of excoriating us is to improve the image of the forum, these ad hominem attacks are not succeeding in that goal.

While heretofore I have not participated in this thread, I have advocated elsewhere for spiritual solutions and loosening of the restrictions on the sacraments. I still advocate for these things, and I believe they can be done prudently. I fail to see how that means I only value human life until birth.
  • JPNZ71,

Can you think of any good which has come (musically or artistically speaking) from the current pestilence or any nation's response to it?
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • Dear folks, once all this stuff is "settled" and we are back in our churches, can we "lockdown" the clergy and pass regulations for our safety that they should remain in quarantine? mmmm the possibilities and thoughts going on in my mind seem endless. Can I get an Amen for cloistered clergy?
  • Would cloistered clergy improve the situation of the arts?
  • tomjaw
    A vow of poverty, chastity and obedience, would do wonders for the Bishops. But looking at the cloistered orders, good quality and even quantity music is not a common trait...
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CatherineS
  • a_f_hawkins
    "A vow of poverty, chastity and obedience, would do wonders for the Bishops." Amen

0.1% of the population has already died in New York -¿with/of this virus?-, I have no idea whether everybody in New York has yet been infected.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CatherineS
    I do hope we all come out of this more holy! I'm reading The Science of the Cross, a reflection on the life and writings of Saint John of the Cross. Really encouraging in times of difficulty, as are the lives of many saints.

It's inspiring to see people here and on other forums, Twitter, etc. sharing their art, music, crafts and other projects. I'm working parts from Haydn's "The Creation" in voice lessons (done via Facetime), doing weekly audio-recording and text-based mini English lessons for the seminarians who were in the English class I was helping with, and working on a colored-pencil drawing of the Crowning of Our Lady, with a nice choir of angels in the background. It's copied from a medieval painting. And I'm going nuts planting seeds from fruits and vegetables in little pots on the patio, to see if they will grow.

I look forward to re-participating in some sort of singing in Church one day, God willing. And I still would like to come up with some sort of simple Gregorian chant classes for young people that avoids the 'I know so much from books' geekery and focuses on teaching people to sing basic useful liturgical music from around the year. I also would like to continue working on the embroidered chasuble I was having made for my godson's ordination. We joke that he'll get to wear at at his funeral instead. It's gotten delayed so many times we just laugh anymore.

What's your state of the arts?
  • francis
    Two posts ago, I was the DoM out west in a church that had a split personality... one part, liberal left mentality (spiritual, political, social, etc.) who mostly strained after novelty, and when one wore off, another had to be quickly injected to keep the 'aura' alive... and then there another part that was emerging (longing for The Tradition which The Church once held in high esteem) that wanted the chant, the devotions of old, solemn vespers, etc.

It was my impossible job to serve up the two opposing musical entrees at each and every liturgy for this divergent mass. Often the blend was like eating a filet along with a side of cotton candy. That disintegrated into utter chaos over time.

My last post, I was the Cm&O of a well executed Novus Ordo parish, that yearned for the beauty of the past but attempted to graft that beauty onto the NO. It also suffered a schizophrenic mentality as the musicians had (previous to my taking up the post) been able to sing a large body of the chant there, had somewhat regular celebrations of the TLM and also a wonderful pipe organ to boot. Nevertheless, when I arrived, it did not take long for me to discover that upon my arrival, it began moving away from tradition, not toward it.

With that, I decided to never lend my talents to the cause of the NO from that point forward.

CONCLUSION

The 'State of the Art' in the Roman Catholic Church will never be restored until her theology and traditional practices are fully restored. This is because the NO (even when attempted in a 'beautiful and reverent way') is just putting lipstick on a sus scrofa.

SIDEBAR

Dr. K, whom you all know so well, says it best in this, one of his latest articles.

https://onepeterfive.com/reform-of-the-reform-doomed/

I know some of you will bristle at his reflection, but read slowly before making a judgement - he and I both have lived many years as the professional cosmeticians of the NO animal, and now, I believe God has had enough and is putting an end to the circus once for all.

STATE OF THE ARTS

So now, I spend my time composing music (only in Latin) (however, you might find some of my older compositions on the net from when I was composing for the NO). I am also in monastic mode, praying and interceding for the pope, bishops, priests, nuns, and the entire church.

I began making icons and sacramentals that support the traditions, some which we have lost over the past fifty years, and some which are still in tact (the rosary).

These are two pieces that I created in the last 24 - 48 hours. Once is a first communion rosary for boys, and the second is my own Rosary of Seven Sorrows. Both are crafted with hand made S-chain.

http://finerosary.com/boys-first-communion-rosary-seven-sorrows-of-the-blessed-virgin-mary

Blessed be the Hearts of Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Maranatha, CLJ.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CatherineS
    Lovely rosaries, Mr. Francis!

Dr. K tends to have an aim with his hammer that hits all my own nails right smack on the head.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I can think of a negative which is already coming from the pestilence, but (to be fair) it has been coming for a long time and the pestilence has merely intensified the problem. People are becoming accustomed to computer generated sound, and expecting to be able to play and replay the same sound -- thus driving us closer to an abrogation of the principle that recorded music has no place in the liturgy (which is, already, being sent across the airwaves instead of being experienced and entered into actually and proximately).

On the other hand, it's possible that chant, which doesn't need instrumental accompaniment or a diversity of parts, could see a resurgence.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • tomjaw
    @Chris Garton-Zavesky

The people I am in contact with miss the sung Mass (E.F.) I have been sending links to https://schola-sainte-cecile.com as they are still able to sing Mass.

The biggest problems I see are,
    Many of us will have found something else to do on a Sunday morning.
    Many will have got used to a virtual liturgy, that we can Mute, Pause or Fast Forward. Many will have got used to a virtual experience of the Sacraments.
    Some of us will have got used to better Liturgy and music, and find a different church to go to.

The silver lining is that the Church on the other side will be very much poorer, the collection plates that have been lost, are lost. How many will be able to afford to donate.
    Our bishops will have to do with less, and a bit of Poverty and chastity will do them the world of good... Hopefully!
  • CatherineS
    @tomjaw - here (in Rio) the main weirdness I see on the livestreams is that they are designed to be social-media features, and thus have a chat window on one side for people to comment while they watch (lol! omg!). One can hide this by expanding the live-screen part, but the ongoing active use of this part during the livestream is rather, well, it's the same as chatting with your friends in Church, which most everyone here does. I've gotten so used to it that when I am in quiet countries I often forget to keep total silence and do something horrifying like ask an old lady where the bathroom is, and get scorched with withering looks of disdain by all around. Anyway, I think the context is really quite inappropriate, and I find myself more often shutting off the computer and just reading the Mass quietly to myself. But I suspect if you have kids at home or less quiet-loving people in the household it's very helpful and engaging to have the Mass onscreen.

The other unexpected effect on me is that whereas in regular life I was willing, albeit pained, to assist at whatever nearby Mass would satisfy my Sunday obligation, when I am relieved of the obligation I find myself happily reverting to being utterly unwilling to settle for bad liturgy and ugliness. I may with some shame say that I do pray that while God is tidying up our lives, He might also just drop a lightning bolt on each of the egregiously, agonizingly, offensively ugly church buildings around here, many of which don't even deserve accolades for any other purpose (auditorium, parking garage) to which they might be put. There is one I more recently discovered, in a nearby neighborhood, in which the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament is a moldy, dark, windowless, dirty room, in which Our Lord rests before a bizarre mural of jagged lines in orange and black, as if shining before a scene of post-Apocalyptic hell. I swear, it is so diabolical the architect must have been off his rocker to even consider it appropriate for Christian worship, no matter the era.

I do hope that this period of difficulty will shake the Church into a more adoring and loving engagement with Jesus, and shake out the 'dust' of corruption.

The older I get, and the longer I remain Catholic (may it be forever), the less I find myself willing to compromise and negotiate on doing the best we can. We can do very well! But we all have to help each other UP, not pull each other down.

I find this forum lovely for that, as people share their compositions, cool musical discoveries, and encourage each other to do more and better for Our Lord.

Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • francis
    I may with some shame say that I do pray that while God is tidying up our lives, He might also just drop a lightning bolt on each of the egregiously, agonizingly, offensively ugly church buildings around here, many of which don't even deserve accolades for any other purpose (auditorium, parking garage) to which they might be put.
    lol
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Tom,

Imagine being able to fast forward through the sermon, or the requests for money for the Archbishop's appeal.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Our bishops will have to do with less, and a bit of Poverty and chastity will do them the world of good... Hopefully!
    Well, maybe. Our Diocese sent me a letter setting a deadline to convert furlough to layoff and stating "Due to the economic impact of the pandemic no severance packages will be offered." Fortunately the Lutherans are still being generous to my wife.