Music list Vatican Semana Santa
  • L.S.
    Does anyone know where to find the music list from the Semana Santa in the Vatican. As we are an all-male ensemble ourselves I am interested because I heard some unfamiliar music.
    Thanks,
    Dirk
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I'm not sure if this is what your are looking for, but here are the booklets for the celebrations:

Palm Sunday
    Holy Thursday
    Good Friday
    Easter Vigil
    Easter Sunday
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What’s going on on page 40 of the Vigil?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Yes, I also noticed that. The "Quia tuum es regnum" could be sung in Latin, but they choose to use an Italian setting instead. The melody sounds familiar, but I can't place it.
  • Simon
    Looks like Easter was as musically boring in the Vatican as all over the world this year. Just a ritual ceremony with bare bones of music. That's the way it is.
  • Liam
    The choir was pared down to 9 distantly spaced men.
  • The melody is ‘Christus vincit’ .
  • PaxTecum
    *sigh* that setting is used very often all around Italy
  • chonakchonak
    The melody has been used as theme music at the Vatican for a long time.
  • davido
    What’s with the final blessing on Holy Thursday? I thought that service was to end with no procession or blessing
  • Kathy
    Yes that doxology is customary in Italy.
  • a_f_hawkins
    davido - I agree, the liturgists' theory is that the Triduum is all one service, and therefor neither Holy Thursday nor Good Friday is ended. It is possible to have the Mass of the Lord's Supper without having the Good Friday liturgy in that church, and under those circumstances "the Mass ends in the usual way", which would include a blessing. Let's hope this situation never recurs.
  • Thank you all ! I found these booklets but there was (some) polyfony sung as well. It is nowhere mentioned.
    D.
  • PaxTecum
    @VocesCapituli they rarely list the source of polyphony in their books. A lot of the music they sing is written by the director himself. Typically they list only the text in the program books
  • davido
    Thanks Hawkins, that makes sense