Rooms at Colloquium
  • G
    This is probably not the kosher place to address this, but I thought it would be fast - what is the difference between the higher priced and the lower priced SINGLE rooms at the Colloquium?
    Different buildings?
    TIA

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • mjballoumjballou
    The higher priced rooms come with beds. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
  • Kathy
    The lower priced rooms are on the L.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Are there private baths in all singles?
  • chonakchonak
    Can we camp in our garage parking spaces?
  • Kathy
    That'll be 14 dollars.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    The rooms in Regis and the one across the street are so great that I could make them a permanent home. I've never seen "dorms" like these.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I agree with Jeffrey about the quality of the rooms. My tastes in the arts, history, and whatever are always leading me to conferences with university housing, the most entertaining of which was one of the rooms on the green at Unversity of Virginia (a great privilege if you're a student). The "facilities" were about a five-minute outside walk away. But, ah - the history.

Loyola Chicago is like the Ritz, as far as my experience goes.
  • I agree... the rooms are great. I stayed in Regis last year... private room (which meant then that, although there were two twin beds in the room, I was its only occupant). Each room had its own private bath, with shower. I did long for a means to heat water for tea or coffee after the cafeteria was closed... but found some college student's discarded microwave in one of the study lounges and made do, using my Colloquium mug.
  • AOZ
    We have been able to secure an additional 10 rooms at the $420 price! Lots of bargaining went on to get this.

All rooms for the Colloquium this year will be in Simpson; that's the same building that the dining hall is in.
  • Kathy
    I hope they have the same onion rings as last year...
  • AOZ
    I hope the onion rings will be freshly made, personally...
  • Kathy
    I hope my future memory of oniom rings yet to come is as satisfying as my present somewhat waning memiry of last year's onion rings.

Hot and crispy!!
  • G
    Ya just HAD to talk about that on a day I'm fasting, huh, Kathy....? ;o)

Seriously, onion rings must be the one item I didn't try -- I think I gained about 20 pounds that week, and I don't regret a single scone or pork chop.

AOZ, God reward you for all you do!

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • Kathy
    Carved roast beef...

But, you've got to try the onion rings, G!
  • mjballoumjballou
    That's right - I'd forgotten how good the food is, especially in comparison to St. Joe's in Indiana or St. John's in Minnesota. What I remember from the chant intensive last year was the availability of broccoli at every meal. And now, you tell me there are onion rings? Oh, the simple joys of the musical life.
  • miacoyne
    Hmm, I don't remember onion rings at the Intensisve. But I loved the full bereakfast, which I don't normally have here. (Even though I'll miss my kids, no worrying for cooking for a whole week, but just sing and talk! In the mean time, my husband will have a 'quality' and 'quantity' time with kids :-)
    Looking forward to polyphony and onion rings this year! (Need to start searching for a cheap flight ticket.)
  • OlbashOlbash
    Cool, I'm sending my check in this week. But I still need to know... are these rooms in Simpson shared bath? As much as I love you all, that's just a little too "communal" for my tastes.
  • Also a great jogging along the lake. How about 10 miles before morning prayer?
  • mjballoumjballou
    I'd prefer a brisk walk after lunch.
  • Kathy
    I'd prefer an evening stroll.
  • Mary Jane and Kathy- I'm up for a brisk walk or an evening stroll. Probably both on most days, if you're looking for walking buddies.
  • mjballoumjballou
    With the Singing Mum and Kathy, we will form an artistic walking trio.
  • Kathy
    We can sing the Mikado! Who wants to be YumYum?
  • "Three little maids who all are merry come from a ladies' seminary! " I could jog to that.
  • Oh, the rooms don't have private baths.
    Definitely a non-starter for me.
    Glad I looked before registering--which I regretfully will not be doing now.
    Bummer.
  • chonakchonak
    If you wouldn't mind commuting in from a hotel, it might be worthwhile to check discount rates for the Evanston, IL area. I saw some listings for $60/day around the airport on a travel consolidator site.
  • Nah, too much trouble.
    Extremely annoying and disappointing.
  • AOZ
    Ralph - or anyone else - if you're serious about morning runs on the lake, email me. Maybe there will be a few of us who can gather.
    Daniel, it is seriously misleading to say that these are not private baths. I've walked through the entire building and seen the rooms, and they are completely amazing. The well-equipped and very modern bathroom with great shower is part of a 2 or 3 room suite, that is itself in a nook off the hallway, very close at the door, very convenient and very nice and very private in fact. It is NOT communal in the sense we think of that term. I would say much nicer even than the so-called private baths at Regis. I worried when I saw this that people would get the wrong impression by the very fact that they are not in the room as such but it is just like a home in the sense that the bathroom is right off the room. I think you and anyone will be extremely impressed actually. I'm certain of it. It is nicer than most any budget hotel room suite.
  • mjballoumjballou
    YumYum and her two school chums will watch AOZ and Ralph running by and applaud sedately.
  • I have no doubt that the accomodations are extremely nice and that every effort has been made to ensure the best possible facilities. Unfortunately, the available set up just won't work for me.
  • Are there any single rooms still available??? I am interested in going...but would prefer a single room.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Last minute question! Do the kitchenettes in Simpson lounges have a refrigerator? As someone saving money by bringing food, this effects what I will bring.
  • CharlesW
    I had heard there is "plenty good room" at the colloquium this year. ;-)

Charles, ducking and running before being hit with a couple hundred flying parish books of chant.
    Dan, I'm not sure! some people are bringing fridges. also, you can pay for whatever meals you want and stock up so to speak.
  • AOZ
    The lounges DO NOT have fridges. But You can talk to you the folks in your residence hall about renting one for your room at your expense.
  • "Nah, too much trouble. Extremely annoying and disappointing."

My understanding is that creating the Colloquium in the first place was an extremely difficult task and an awful lot of trouble: a thankless job. I am so glad the CMAA founders persevered !
  • Yes, but I've put my hyper-critical judgments on hold and can't wait to be there tomorrow.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Thank you for the info, Jeffrey and AOZ. I have made the necessary adjustments. See you all tomorrow!

!!
  • MAC, MJB et Kathy,
    Before you found your G&S trio- might I remind you that the true talent that bears my lowly surname and lays bare any notion that there is any worth to same, is in town NOW and invigorated by a Gibson's ribeye, some Duckhorn meritage, and a caramel/chocolate sauce o'er vanilla ice cream sundae.
    She loves to walk and (having endured me for 36 annums) is the embodiment of grace, fortitude and true beauty.
    After a few initial sessions, you'll understand why I am happy to be Simeon in her presence.
    So, should you go all Dumas with your power walks, remember my sweet D'Artagnon, Wendy .
    Love (with blatant enological extortions)
    Charles
  • AOZ
    Don F,
    can if you see this is in the am can you write to me at
    avoz@earthlink(dot)net
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I realize up-front money is required - I needed it for my attendance in summer of '06. But my tax consultant had very happy news for me when I had him prepare my taxes: the IRS has a standard daily allowance for meals in various cities - whether or not you actually had to spend anything on meals. So make sure you tell your tax person about the details of your trip, especially if you are self-employed in your church work.
  • Remember my comments above from several months ago? Reality is worse than I had feared. Big mistake.