• CatherineS
    So for the first couple years being Catholic I don't have any memory of Holy Week - if I knew about it it went in one ear and out the other. For the next years (until this year) I sang in the schola at the EF parish, and so Holy Week was an exhausting, amazing, complicated, intense and rather overwhelming time of year. There was so much going on chant-wise and logistically and such enormously long liturgies that time not spent in Church was largely spent recuperating for the next day's chant.

This year I have no idea what to do with myself.

Does anyone have some kind of structured plan (even for their kids!) that they will be using? Or is everyone winging it?
  • a_f_hawkins
    I have seen the suggestion that we put some sort of green branch in windows, or outside doors, on Palm Sunday. Inventive para-liturgists have published things like https://d2y1pz2y630308.cloudfront.net/15495/documents/2020/3/Holy_Week_at_Home.pdf

• vogelkwvogelkw
    I am actually posting a series of video reflections relating to this:

Holy Week at Home

How do we celebrate Holy Week and Easter from home this year? In this series, Fr. Vogel guides us along the path Jesus took for our salvation using images from the Holy Land. We will consider how we usually celebrate these sacred days at our parishes, and receive tips for how to engage from home, both during and outside our livestreamed services.

Palm Sunday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONJ420-sj2k

Series Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk6izfW-zm0KW8wyrg5tsFSI-RwsrH2bT

Livestreamed Services: https://www.facebook.com/cppnebraska/
    (Our services are OF.)

So far I just have Palm Sunday posted, but ones for the rest of Holy Week will soon appear.

A blessed Holy Week,

Fr. Vogel
  • chonakchonak
    Here's a booklet of home activities for Holy Week created by Byzantine-rite nuns, with links to prayer booklets, including some music from the Ruthenian tradition.
  • Pray part of the Divine Office, and if you have the capacity, sing it.

• tomjaw
    I am going to read the commentaries in the Liturgical Year, Gueranger with my family. We can also sing the various Propers and (Latin) Hymns as we go. We already sing Compline each night so may also add Vespers, and Tenebrae.

Some of the Liturgical year, Guernager can be found here,
    http://www.liturgialatina.org/lityear/

Or
    https://archive.org/details/liturgicalyear06gu/page/2/mode/2up
    https://archive.org/details/V06TheLiturgicalYear/page/n7/mode/2up
  • CatherineS
    These are great. I think it will help if I organize and print (where necessary) all the materials in advance.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Take a cue from the Von Trapp family - sing the office of Tenebrae. (Fun little tidbit I found out reading Around the Year with the Von Trapp Family: in Austria, Tenebrae is called Pumpernette, or "noisy Matins".)
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Gonna do Tenebrae by myself while the little ones are sleeping, then we’ll all do the Carthusian Office of the Mass (with Holy Thursday propers) and Vespers. Friday will be lone Tenebrae and Vespers later, with our own adoration of the Cross. Saturday will be Tenebrae again solo, then a modified Office of the Mass to fit in all the lessons and shortened Vespers. Easter Sunday will be solo Matins/Lauds then the Office of the Mass.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CCoozeCCooze
    We are going to try to add as much of the Divine Office as we can for Holy Week. It may end up being just me, but we'll see.
    We are going to "meet" our homeschool co-op on Zoom at noon to sing the daily Angelus (in English, until I get them all comfortable enough to switch to Latin (which helps because it's one of my goals for our new music class, which I'll be teaching in the fall), and finish it with the Stella caeli extirpavit chant.

We bought a box-(3-book)set copy of and started The Library of Catholic Devotion, and are currently going through Vol.2, which starts at the last days of Christ with the teaching of the Our Father.
    We're doing 1 or 2 stories each night, which should get us through the Passion in about a week. We just read Palm Sunday and the cleansing of the temple (which we will hear and reiterate on Sunday), because the passion stories are a lot of short stories/verses with a small explanation at the end of each.
    So, the kids are doing this activity sheet as we go.

(I'm going to attempt to make Hot Cross Buns, for the first time.)
  • Off topic warning

Corinne,

My mom introduced my wife to Hot Cross Buns, I think, and she has made them now every year since we married. One year an enterprising son tried, and mixed up salt and sugar, but in that he's in good company, since his grandfather once misread the amount of mint in mince pies.... a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon, if I recall the details.....

Back on topic

Considering the amount of down time everyone else seems to have, can someone lend me some?
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • CatherineS
    I seem to have rediscovered my cooking skills, so maybe I'll do hot crossed buns! By the way, the custom that people tell me of here in Brazil is that on Good Friday one never cooks or does any work, and does nothing 'light-hearted' (like dance, sing, run around playing, tell jokes, watch television, etc.). Older folks remember this being strictly enforced. But even today more pious families still have a more solemn day.

That said, how is one to prepare Easter feast (lunch, dinner), normally? Cook everything the day before? Spend all day Easter cooking? Those of you who normally have had a special feast meal at home for Easter, when did you prepare it or which parts did you pre-prepare?

Just do add - I have also understood that Easter starts at midnight, so if the Vigil runs til 11pm, you go from Church to the pizza place, or the fridge, and wait for midnight to ring, and then start snacking.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW cesarfranck
  • a_f_hawkins
    Easter surely starts no later than the joyful bells at the Gloria, we just have to restrain the carnal appetites no longer than until the service is ended.
    Thanked by 2Carol Elmar
  • tomjaw
    My Easter will start at the traditional time (well at least in the ages of faith) I will be following the Sarum timings (and the timings used for all great feasts), we will start after Lunch by singing the Christus Resurgens, followed by First Vespers of Easter. We can then have compline and anticipated Matins. Lauds can wait until Easter Sunday morning!

We will be following the Vigil ceremonies on the morning of Holy Saturday!
  • a_f_hawkins
    tomjaw - fine, but where does Lunch figure in the Lenten Fast?
    Thanked by 2CatherineS Elmar
  • tomjaw
    Well since we no longer follow the ancient laws of fasting i.e. having our one meal at the end of the day. We now follow the Benedictine modifications, so we have our main meal at lunch time, and the collation in the evening (or split between the morning and the evening).
    A discussion of the fasting rules can be found here,
    https://archive.org/details/liturgicalyear05gu/page/8/mode/2up
    Page 8 et seq. and page 30 et seq. (page numbers as in the book not the programme)

My favourite part,
    "The custom of taking something to drink on fasting days, out of the time of the repast, was gradually established; and even so early as the thirteenth century, we have St. Thomas of Aquin discussing the question, whether or not drink is to be considered as a breaking of the precept of fasting.[1] He answers in the negative; and yet he does not allow that anything solid may be taken with the drink. But when it had become the universal practice (as it did in the latter part of the thirteenth century, and still more fixedly during the whole of the fourteenth) that the one meal on fasting days was taken at midday, a mere beverage was found insufficient to give support, and bread, herbs, fruits, etc., were added.”
    [1] iv. Quaest. cxlvii. art. 6.

The relevant section from the Summa Theologiae of St. Thomas Aquinas can be found below, I have pasted the part of art. 6 below
    http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3147.htm
    "The fast of the Church is another kind and is called the "fasting of the faster," and this is not broken save by such things as the Church intended to forbid in instituting the fast. Now the Church does not intend to command abstinence from drink, for this is taken more for bodily refreshment, and digestion of the food consumed, although it nourishes somewhat.”
    So we can fast, but still have a glass of "something' from time to time...
  • What our family is doing:
    * We bought a palm tree for the front porch. We'll tie a red ribbon around it and set it out for Palm Sunday. We will make a banner for Easter to go across the front porch declaring: Christus Resurrexit!
    * We will continue praying the Rosary and reading the Mass readings for the day.
    * My son and daughter, who have been organists and singers at our parish over the past several years, will be providing music for all live-streamed Masses at our parish as they have been since public Masses ceased.
    * I will continue using my 1962 MIssal to read all the traditional Mass readings and liturgies for each day.
    * We go to our parish every Friday (except last night due to rain) to pray the Stations of the Cross following the outside stations.
  • CatherineS
    @teachermom24, I'm still obsessing about the Easter dinner...what should I make, and when? The Easter Mass will be at 9am. Almost there, one more week... so excited. Anyone else cook from scratch? What will you make?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW cesarfranck
  • CharlesW
    I have never cooked a "scratch" so I'm thinking it is one of those mystical beasts that live in the forest - or Walmart. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

It is going to be very different this year, that's for certain. Enjoy your celebration.
  • Easter dinner: breast of lamb, roasted fingerling potatoes, aparagus with blue cheese-lemon peel-walnut topping, rosemary rolls, chocolate truffle pie with orange-champagne sabayon and strawberries (this is actually from a Passover menu).
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Dinner at teachermom's house for everyone on the forum next Sunday. Observe proper "social distancing", please.
  • OraLabora
    @Chris Garton-Zavesky
    Pray part of the Divine Office, and if you have the capacity, sing it.

That's what I'll be doing. I usually chant the whole Divine Office in Latin anyway, so Holy Week won't be much different other than the lovely hymns of Venantius Fortunatus and the proper antiphons, many in my favourite mode IVA, and of course the appropriate readings (in my case from the 2-year Solesmes lectionary).

I use Les Heures Grégoriennes for the diurnal hours, and for the Office of Readings, my own home-concocted Nocturnale using antiphons from the first edition of Ordo Cantus Officii (alas the selections from the new Ordo make it sound like the Ordo "we don't want you to cantus" Officii because they're very difficult to locate). I use the Office of Readings as Vigils and my first prayer at 5:30 am; and I try to do all 7 canonical hours in this time of isolation because, well I have the time unless I'm outside exercising (today was such a day, 80 km on my bike so I did mid-day hour at the hour of Terce before setting out).

In summer, I typically concatenate the Office of Readings with Lauds and do just one mid-day hour, the time of which depends on the day's activities. Which this summer may be very few indeed if the trend continues. I suspect summer activities this year other than mowing the lawn and biking, will consist of lounging on the balcony or in the garden with my laptop, and in the solarium when the bugs get too bad.

Otherwise for Palm Sunday, I will try to locate my little vial of holy water, cut a cedar bough from my property, sprinkle some holy water on it, and display it in my oratory.

Ora
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • CatherineS
    Ironically though I live in the tropics I do not have free access to a palm frond. The wild ones are too high to reach, the small potted ones do not belong to me, but to the building, and I refuse to steal a palm frond, despite my husband's instigation.

• CharlesSA
    Chanting all 8 hours of the monastic office as they appear in the books I have (1950 Breviarium Monasticum, 1936 Antiphonale Monasticum). Was able to begin this a week ago since I have from March 16 to at least April 27 off of work as I had been planning to spend from the feast of St. Joseph through the Easter Octave at a couple different monasteries. In addition I will be watching the Triduum services via a livestream (today I watched Gower's) and otherwise doing the best I can to stay recollected in this holy time of the year. All of this is relatively easy without work (employed work that is) and spending this "quarantine" in rural Kansas.

While I disagree vehemently with the closing of public Masses, this can still be a very blessed time. I thank God for it and pray all may be able to make the most of it.
  • CatherineS
    I'm grateful for this 'stay home' Holy Week, at the moment. It's not as 'retreat-like' as I might have chosen, but the relative quiet is refreshing, and there are many sorrows and joys to pray for along the way.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Tonight my 6 and 8yo sons read (and sang the hymns of) vespers and evening prayer/compline with me. It was lovely, (even if - I hope they didn't take it as such - seemingly morbid, after their bible stories were about the 2nd coming/end of the world).
    I'm using the Divine Office website/app, when I'm unable to get to the computer to use the Antiphonale Monasticum. It's an interesting combination.
  • tomjaw
    Myself and our older children are going to sing Tenebrae later, we have a hearse made from Duplo, with night lights!
    Thanked by 2CatherineS CHGiffen
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Anyone else cook from scratch? What will you make?
    I like to make breads, cakes, pancakes, etc. from scratch. One year, I got the baby in the King Cake so I made one from scratch. Didn't have a fancy pan, so this was a bundt cake.
    Thanked by 2CatherineS CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    1920 x 2560 - 296K
    2560 x 1920 - 281K
    2560 x 1920 - 350K