Use of the Canticles vs Psalms for the Easter Vigil Readings
  • For an OF Easter Vigil, is it possible to sing the Canticles (from the EF) rather than the Missal Psalms (and Canticles)? For example, after Reading 1, rather than singing Psalm 104 or Psalm 33, could the "Canticle", Psalm 100 (99), be sung? Jeff Ostrowski, in one of his collections offers simple chant versions in English of the Graduale "canticles" for use in the OF. Thanks for any replies.
  • Yes! Perfectly licit! We do it every year.
    Thanked by 1Joseph Michael
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Yes, just look in the 1974 Graduale Romanum:

After Reading 1: Iubilate Domino (Ps 99)
    After Reading 2: Qui confidunt (Ps 124)
    After Reading 3: Cantemus Domino (Ex 15)
    After Reading 4: Laudate Dominum (Ps 116)
    After Reading 5: Vinea facta (Is 5)
    After Reading 6: Attende caelum (Deut 32)
    After Reading 7: Sicut cervus (Ps 41)
  • Is there a document that I can show the pastor stating that the "canticles" are licit in the OF? I believe you, trentonjconn!
  • chonakchonak
    GIRM 61 (U.S. edition) provides:
    In the Dioceses of the United States of America, instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books, or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, including Psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm.

This allows you to sing the chants in the Graduale Romanum or the Graduale Simplex, or from another approved book of Psalms and antiphons, such as, for example, the Lumen Christi Missal or By Flowing Waters.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The General Instruction of the Roman Missal. I don't know of anything specific to the Vigil, but the normal rule is - (In the USA the rule is longer and more complicated, with more options)
    61. After the First Reading follows the Responsorial Psalm, which is an integral part of the Liturgy of the Word and which has great liturgical and pastoral importance, since it fosters meditation on the Word of God.
    The Responsorial Psalm should correspond to each reading ...
    Instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books.
    The Missal doesn't offer music for the psalms/canticles, the Church's Official Music Book is the Graduale Romanum.
    Thanked by 1Joseph Michael
  • Richard R.
    "Jeff Ostrowski, in one of his collections offers simple chant versions in English of the Graduale "canticles" for use in the OF."

Please supply this link. I would be very curious to read Ostrowski's justification for using Gregorian Canticles in English translation... in any form of the Roman Rite.
  • chonakchonak
    Richard R. wrote:
    I would be very curious to read Ostrowski's justification for using Gregorian Canticles in English translation... in any form of the Roman Rite.

Jeff's Lalemant Propers book did get approval from the diocese of Corpus Christi in 2013, so at least the Office for Worship there approved the practice. If I understand current USCCB policy aright, USCCB approval can then be considered automatic.

And it's a reasonable enough approval: the Easter Vigil canticles are all Scripture texts, so why not sing them in English with texts from the Lectionary, the RGP, or some other approved version?
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • a_f_hawkins
    I would be very curious to read Ostrowski's justification for using Gregorian Canticles in English translation... in any form of the Roman Rite.
    There is this post which is first person. And the intro to the Jogues Missal (here) which is the more ample explication by the Committee.
  • BrophyBoy
    Should anyone be opting for the Psalms, Mr. Nicholas Nappier, a Third-Year Theologian studying for the Diocese of Tyler, Texas, has prepared these for our use at Notre Dame Seminary in New Orleans. Your critique/advice, which I will happily pass along to him, would be most welcome
  • I just put the Simple Gradual vigil psalms and canticles in my Dropbox:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5u0vc444iuaw44j/AACgWRGnqhldFNW24cHmEqb2a?dl=0
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen smvanroode