In case you're REALLY bored...
  • Heath
    ...I would be THRILLED to hand off this project to someone more adept with a music notation program than me.

A request from my boss:

"Can you set this text to music similar to that used on Good Friday? We are to compose and include a petition regarding the pandemic (for the distressed, the sick, and the dead)."

Let us pray also for those, who are suffering on account of the current pandemic,
    that our God and Lord may make haste to help them. (cf. Ps 70:2)

(Let us kneel. Let us stand.)

Almighty ever-living God, who are eager to restore our health and heal our wounds,
    grant, we pray, comfort to the distressed, healing to the sick, and eternal rest to our departed brethren.

Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

____

I appreciate your consideration!
  • ...ever-living God, who are eager...
    This should read 'who art' or 'who is'. Perhaps it was a 'slip of the pen' or a typo, but just in case....
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • aldine
  • CGM
    It's not identical to what Heath provided.
    Here's music for Heath's boss's text.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Jackson, sadly not all of us are privileged to work in the Ordinariate and have to suffer with ICEL 2010: a strange, almost-elevated English that struggles to shoehorn contemporary English into archaic syntax. (The doxology: Through Him, &c., is a particularly painful example.)
  • You are telling me that ICEL actually has written 'ever-living God, who are...'??? A third grader could laugh at this. One doesn't have to use Old Church English if he doesn't wish to. At least he or she should use grammatically correct language that makes sense.
  • chonakchonak
    The Mass for the Sick, on pp. 1314-1315 of the Missal, has some suitable prayers that could be taken whole or in part for this Good Friday intercession.

Incidentally, looking at the Good Friday texts (Missal, p. 316-329), we can see that prayer for those in tribulation, including the sick and the dying, is an established part of the intercessions (see the tenth prayer, p, 320). However, prayer for the deceased isn't in the standard text. Perhaps the intercessions are meant to be specifically for the living.
    Thanked by 2CCooze CharlesW
  • bangerman
    This is a text I've seen on a few archdiocesan sites in the past few days, a suggestion apparently distributed by the USCCB:

XI. For an end to the pandemic

Let us pray, dearly beloved, for a swift end to the coronavirus pandemic that afflicts our world, that our God and Father will heal the sick, strengthen those who care for them, and help us all to persevere in faith.

Prayer in silence. Then the Priest says:

Almighty and merciful God, source of all life, health and healing, look with compassion on our world, brought low by disease; protect us in the midst of the grave challenges that assail us and in your fatherly providence grant recovery to the stricken, strength to those who care for them, and success to those working to eradicate this scourge. Through Christ our Lord.

R. Amen.

Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    When did Catholics stop using an uppercase first letter in pronouns that refer to God?
  • Schönbergian
    My copy of the Douay-Rheims doesn't use them, for one.
  • chonakchonak
    Belgium! Figures.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    When did Catholics stop using an uppercase first letter in pronouns that refer to God?
    Reverential capitalization isn't nearly as long established as one might have imagined.
    Thanked by 2Elmar Liam
  • CharlesW
    I think some of the style books indicate that pronouns are not capitalized. There may be exceptions, I haven't had time to look into it.
  • tomjaw
    My copy of the Douay-Rheims doesn't use them, for one.

Yes most interesting, but all the hand Missals I have do capitalise the first letter... When making UVOC style Propers sheets, I have to correct the text from the Douay...
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    sts: 7,083

...ever-living God, who are eager...

This should read 'who art' or 'who is'. Perhaps it was a 'slip of the pen' or a typo, but just in case.

No to 'who is'. God, royalty, bishops, cardinals, and the Pope are all given the 'royal case' i.e. the plural.
  • Liam
    The papal and prelatial majestic plural died a while ago.
  • madorganist
    You are telling me that ICEL actually has written 'ever-living God, who are...'??? A third grader could laugh at this.
    It's a vocative, followed by a relative pronoun, second-person singular, not third-person. "[You] who are" is correct; "who is" would be incorrect. God is being addressed, not spoken of in third person. It has nothing at all to do with the majestic plural, royal we, etc. God is never addressed that way (neither plural nor formal) in "Old Church English."

• Liam,

Actually, it was declared inadmissible.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Heath
    Many thanks to CGM for giving this a try and for the rest of you for resources and interesting commentary, as always! :)

CGM, I'll reach out privately for a requested tweak or two.
  • Liam
    Or just ridiculous.
  • madorganist
    For centuries, formal titles in English have been "Your Majesty," "Your Highness," "Your Honor," "Your Eminence," "Your Grace," "Your Excellency," not "Thy" for any of them. Thou/thee/thy is informal second person singular, even when referring to God, whether capitalized or not. It is not true that the papal majestic plural died out. Pope Benedict XVI used it in Summorum Pontificum: "we decree the following" / "DECERNIMUS".
  • CatherineS
    Brazilian Portuguese uses third person to replace second person and first person in some formal settings, and it's adorable. Example, when talking to the elderly lady down the hall: "How is the lady doing today? And when the lady went to the doctor, did all go well?" One uses it to address social superiors, the elderly, and I often hear it used between peers in convents and seminaries, too.

The first person substitute goes like this: instead of saying "I will be in the confessional for the next half hour if anyone needs me" the priest would say "The priest will be in the confessional for the next half hour if anyone needs him." This one left me baffled for a while, and it's not very common, but sometimes encountered in contexts where there's a lot of hierarchy and formality.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    all the hand Missals I have do...

As do mine.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CGM
    here's the chant with Heath's emendations
    Thanked by 1Heath