Urbi et Orbi - Extraordinary Papal Blessing
  • francis
    https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2020-03/pope-calls-for-christians-to-unite-in-prayer-for-end-to-pandemic.html

Special blessing as we join with the pope today. Please participate in this event. Please "thank" if you plan to join and I will let the Vatican know of our participation as musicians of sacred music.

A special Urbi et Orbi blessing
    The Pope also announced that on the following Friday, 27 March, he will preside over a moment of prayer on the sagrato of St Peter’s Basilica, the platform at the top of the steps immediately in front of the façade of the Church. “I invite everyone to participate spiritually through the means of communication”, he said. The ceremony will consist in readings from the Scriptures, prayers of supplication, and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament; and will conclude with Pope Francis giving the Urbi et orbi Blessing, with the possibility of gaining a plenary indulgence for all those who listen to it live through the various forms of communication. The blessing “to the City [of Rome] and to the World” is normally only given on Christmas and Easter.
  • Francis,

I'm sorry to be so thick-headed, but the link you provided (thank you for it) doesn't give us access to a live broadcast. What am I missing?
  • m_r_taylor
    Plus the text:

Sancti Apostoli Petrus et Paulus: de quorum potestate et auctoritate confidimus, ipsi intercedant pro nobis ad Dominum.

℟: Amen.

Precibus et meritis beatae Mariae semper Virginis, beati Michaelis Archangeli, beati Ioannis Baptistae et sanctorum Apostolorum Petri et Pauli et omnium Sanctorum, misereatur vestri omnipotens Deus; et dimissis omnibus peccatis vestris, perducat vos Iesus Christus ad vitam æternam.

Indulgentiam, absolutionem, et remissionem omnium peccatorum vestrorum, spatium veræ et fructuosae pœnitentiae, cor semper paenitens, et emendationem vitae, gratiam et consolationem Sancti Spiritus; et finalem perseverantiam in bonis operibus tribuat vobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus.

Et benedictio Dei omnipotentis, Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, descendat super vos et maneat semper.

• francis
    10 minute warning!
  • chonakchonak
    This link has the broadcast without English commentary:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YceQ8YqYMc
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Carol
    I watched this on EWTN with English (which I needed) and found it calming and inspiring. Thank you for bringing this to our (the forum's- not the royal "our") attention.
  • Joining Carol in thanks
    I had no subtitles (or Italian) but could make out
    Speranza
    Coraggio
    Stella del Mare tempesto
    What I needed.
  • CatherineS
    I ended up watching the feed in Italian, without translation, but I sat and listened anyway (I can look up the sermon later). I thought it was really a solemn and rather apocalyptic scene (the cloudy sky at dusk and flaming torches and rain-soaked pavement... even the beautiful Crucifix was dripping with rain). It was a nice hour of prayer, in any case.
    Thanked by 2Carol Elmar
  • Josh
    Unfortunately this occurred a little after 4 am Australian Eastern Daylight [saving] Time on Saturday morning, so I missed out. While I've been waking up an hour before my alarm for quite a while now, to catch up on the latest dreadful news, that was too early for me.
  • Carol
    I think you can see it archived online from the Vatican website or EWTN.com.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    For the record, I thought the blessing was apocalyptic, and the complete opposite of the Pachamama abomination... no dancing, no tambourines, no feathers, just... the dying Christ and the pope alone by himself... where was the rally call to the church militant? Where IS the Church Militant??!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW

where was the rally call to the church militant? Where IS the Church Militant??!

We have bad knees, weigh too much, and are so very tired of all the drama.

Church formerly militant.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw francis Elmar
  • Carol
    Francis, please know I am asking with a sincere heart. What would you have the Pope say and the Church Militant do? Do not take as a "flame" please!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Liam
    Actually, that's very much the Church Militant. There's no promise of GRANDIOSITY in how God calls us to carry forward. Often, the way given to us is bereft of any obvious garlands or banners. Grandiosity is a need of the false ego of mortals.
  • tomjaw
    @Carol

We only need to look at the lives of the Saints... They have lived through far worse times.

St. Francis embraced the leper... So we must love our neighbour!
    Many saintly bishops and priests brought the sacraments to the sick.
    Many Saints gave their lives looking after their flocks.
    The Church should also remind us that this earth is not our home we a passing through! We are destined for a better place. Our love of material goods is bad for us, now everyone is panicking over a bad Flu virus, this is an ideal time to remind people about the four last things!
    Instead we have quivering jellies bishops that do and say nothing.

Of course God sends us such bishops to show us this is the One, True Church, because any human endeavour with such leadership would collapse within a fortnight!
    Thanked by 3CharlesW francis Carol
  • francis
    @Carol

No scorch felt! :)

I cannot say it better than this ArchBishop did yesterday who addressed the state of affairs head on without couching his language. Here are some of his responses (with my emphasis in bold):

It pains me to have to say that even now, after we have seen the divine wrath beating down upon the world, we go on offending the Majesty of God by speaking of mother earth demanding respect, as the Pope said a few days ago in his umpteenth interview. What we must do is ask forgiveness for the sacrilege perpetrated in the Basilica of Saint Peter’s, and reconsecrate it before the Holy Sacrifice of Mass can be said there. We should also call a public procession to show penance, even if only Prelates take part under the Pope’s guidance. They must call down the mercy of God upon themselves and upon His people. This would be a sign of that true humility we are all waiting to see, as reparation for all the offences committed.

How are we to contain our bewilderment when we hear words like those said in Santa Marta on 26 March? The Pope said, “The Lord must not find us, at the end of our lives, and say to us, ‘You are corrupt. You have left the path I showed you. You have bowed down before idols’.” Such words as these are truly bewildering, especially if we remember that he himself brought off a terrible sacrilege before the eyes and ears of the whole world, before the very Altar of the Confession of Saint Peter, a real profanation, an act of pure apostasy, with those filthy and satanic images of pachamama.

He went on to say further,
    In his Abu Dhabi declaration, Pope Francis said that God wants all religions. Not only is this a blatant heresy, it is also a very serious apostasy and a terrible blasphemy. Saying that God wants to be worshipped as something other than how He revealed Himself means that the Incarnation, Passion, Death and Resurrection of our Savior are completely meaningless. It means that the reason for founding the Church, the reason for which millions of holy Martyrs gave their lives, for which the Sacraments were instituted, along with the Priesthood and the Papacy itself, are all meaningless.

Unfortunately, just when we should be doing atonement for our offences against the divine Majesty of God, here is someone who asks us to pray to Him along with those who deny the divine Maternity of His Mother, on Her Feast day.

He then said:
    The example of the Bishops in Poland should be followed by the universal Church: they ordered more Masses to be said so that more faithful could go safely to hear Mass. This would happen if the Hierarchy actually cared about the eternal salvation of Catholics.

The pope, the Hierarchy, and all Bishops, Priests and Religious must immediately and absolutely convert. This is something the laity are calling for, as they suffer because they have no firm and faithful guides. We cannot allow the flock which Our Divine Lord has entrusted to our care be scattered by faithless mercenaries. We must convert and go completely over to being on God’s side. We cannot reach any compromises whatsoever with the world.

Bishops must regain consciousness of their own Apostolic Authority, which is personal, which cannot be delegated to intermediate subjects such as Episcopal Conferences or Synods, which have distorted the exercise of the apostolic ministry, causing serious damage to the divine constitution of the Church.

Also,
    The time has come to put an end to synodal paths. To an absurd sense of inferiority and flattering when dealing with the world. To that hypocritical use of the word dialoguing instead of fearlessly preaching the Gospel. We must stop teaching false doctrines and stop being afraid of preaching about purity and holiness. And stop being silent in front of the arrogance of evil. Stop covering up terrible scandals. Stop lying, tricking, and taking revenge.

Catholic life must be a battle right to the end, not a happy-go-lucky walk towards the abyss. All of us, having received Holy Orders. will be asked by Our Lord to give account of the souls we have saved, and those we have lost by not reprimanding and rescuing them. Let us go back to the One true Faith. To living a life of holiness. To the only Cult pleasing to God.

Conversion and repentance, as Our Blessed Lady, Mother of the Church, asks of us. Let us all ask Her, Tabernacle of the Most High, to give Priests and Bishops the heroic impetus they need to save the Church and to bring about the victory of Our Lady’s Immaculate Heart.

+ Carol Maria Viganò

First Sunday of Passiontide 2020
  • Carol
    I missed the whole pachamama thing and had to go read up on it. WOW!
  • CharlesW
    I admire those brave souls who threw it in the Tiber.
  • chonakchonak
    The best known of them, Alexander Tschugguel, caught the virus and was hospitalized for several days, but, thanks be to God, is out and at home now.
  • francis
    Carol

A lot of people, even Catholics are not aware of the atrocities that are happening in the name of God.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Carol
  • CatherineS
    I beg God forgive us our disrespect and sacrilege and give us back our Sacraments. But I don't guess it's going to be very soon. We deserve the whack upside the head.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw francis Carol
  • francis
    @CatherineS

The HEAD will receive
    The crown of thorns
    The BODY will receive
    The flagrum of chastistement
    The CHURCH will carry the cross
    To its crucifixion
    Thanked by 2CatherineS Carol
  • francis
    As I watched the Urbi et Orbi, I truly felt sorry for the Pope. He seemed so alone, so confused. I took many screenshots and put them together with the appropriate Psalm for Holy Week in an image that we will always remember.
    1275 x 1650 - 544K
  • Did anyone think of the final scene from "Lord of the World" as this whole thing was unfolding? I certainly did.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam
    He didn't seem the least bit confused to me. He seemed contemplative, rather than focused on projecting a certain affect or visage. And somewhat courageous to walk out alone and back over that graded rainswept worn granite slab pavement (we have those in downtown Boston for sidewalks on some blocks from the 19th century; they pose a challenge when slick for folks who are not sure-footed and well-shod). The starkness was appropriate to the moment; the choice of Gospel excellent and the first half of the homily delving into it memorably excellent (the second half of application was more mixed, IMO).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Here's hoping that, despite reports to the contrary, the miraculous crucifix he brought out into the rain wasn't damaged irreparably.
  • tomjaw
    @trentonjconn

Except he (the English pope) was not alone and had a small company with him. Also they were singing the wonderful Hymn of St. Thomas Aquinas, as they all headed up and home, as the world was brought to it's long awaited and fully deserved judgement.
    Thanked by 1trentonjconn
  • Tomjaw,

As I recall, they were also all faithful, and persecuted because of that.

No, what it reminded me of was a bishop dressed in white walking halting
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam
    Pope Francis has sciatica.
  • CatherineS
    I remember looking at the Crucifix dripping with rain and thinking "surely they thought this through and it's somehow rainproof, right?"
  • francis
    Except he (the English pope) was not alone and had a small company with him. Also they were singing the wonderful Hymn of St. Thomas Aquinas, as they all headed up and home, as the world was brought to it's long awaited and fully deserved judgement.
    Can you explain... I (and maybe others) are not aware of the details to this reference.
  • francis
    "And Jesus Wept."

Click to see tear.
    1783 x 1443 - 304K
  • CharlesW
    I will say, not for the first time, I don't understand this pope.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Francis,

Read Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson. That's the reference. The very last scene in the book is the clerics around the Holy Father (and a small group it is, too) singing as the parousia prepares to arrive. In fact, although I can't quote it exactly, the last sentence is something like "And then the parousia happened."

Liam,

My computer/internet connection cut me off in mid sentence.

what it reminded me of was a bishop dressed in white, giving the impression he was the pope, walking haltingly through a city half in ruins. As he reached the top....
    Thanked by 2francis tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
  • francis
    OK...

My lesson for the day. Dystopian novel by Benson that promotes the idea (of the Jesuits recently?) that Satan is just a symbol and in believing so, makes the place for him to run the show.
  • Francis,

I think you slightly mischaracterised the book. Benson decries the idea that Satan is just a symbol, but has the dystopic characters (not the protagonists) accept the idea that Satan is not real. This denial is partly what brings on Satan running the show.
  • francis
    Chris,

Sorry... that is what I meant to say... my mistake...

Benson PUTS FORWARD the idea of Satan as a symbol... as was in the news recently, hence my reference to the head of the Jesuits...

https://angelusnews.com/faith/jesuit-superior-general-satan-is-a-symbolic-reality/
  • Francis,

The comments of more than one Jesuit recently should be taken with a grain of salt, or treated as violently explosive, and thus life-threatening, depending on the circumstances.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • tomjaw
    It is a good book, and now we (well at least some of us!) have some time on our hands,

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14021

N.B. It should be classed as science fiction, although Mgr. Benson imagination has in many ways come to pass. He also wrote a similar novel that I am yet to read.
  • "Dawn of All" is sort of an inverted version of LOTW, and frankly isn't that interesting. It depicts a wonderful, thoroughly Catholic dream world. However, since everything is so lovely, there's really no conflict, so it ends up being rather a boring read. It's a nice thought though. "Lord of the World," however, is a masterpiece. Those who haven't read it ought to. It's a pretty easy read.
  • CatherineS
    He wrote a bunch of detective stories, too, no? I think I've read some of them.
  • You may be thinking of Chesterton, who wrote "Father Brown."
    Thanked by 1CatherineS
  • francis
    @tomjaw

thanks for the link... i will listen to siri read it to me.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    His books on the Tudor history - Come Rack! Come Rope!, By What Authority? and especially The King's Achievement, are very good reads.

I love Benson. The best description of his writing comes from an author whose name escapes me: "his prose excites the reader, ultimately, to a state of serenity."
    Thanked by 1trentonjconn