• m_r_taylor
    The EWTN Mass for years has been a source of spiritual consolation for many. Now, with the current crisis, countless parish priests and bishops are live-streaming Masses and inviting their faithful to watch. I'd like to discuss this a little, and I'd welcome some gently expressed thoughts. I wasn't around when the EWTN Mass started...so I missed whatever discussion that engendered.

How would you classify watching a live media broadcast of Mass? It's not the same thing, of course, but to what extent? On one side someone might say that you can assist in that Mass. On the other side, one might say that morally speaking it isn't even "live", given the time delay - that it's no different from watching a pre-recorded Mass.

I think both are true. Through God's grace we can unite ourselves in prayer with any Mass going on around the world - not only with one going on at the same time, but also, since the Mass is a single offering, all the way down to the very first Mass on Holy Thursday and with the Sacrifice on Calvary, since they are one and the same offering. So why not intentionally unite yourself with and assist at a Mass that you can see a recording of almost at the same moment after the real thing takes place?

I think there are some ambiguities, though. When the priest elevates the Host, and you see the digital representation of Christ, should you assume the disposition of adoration? Do you receive the priest's final blessing? I think those questions could stand to use a little gentle clarification and exposition, and I wonder if this is a little confusing for some.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I do feel a difference between live steeaming and a recording. At least for me there is a feeling that the event is present, at a time and pace not of my choosing, the priest is in charge and I am not. That has, on me, a quite different effect from a recording, and is more spiritually fruitful. A subordination of my will, perhaps?
  • Kathy
    I find posture is helpful, making the same gestures as I otherwise would at Mass.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I agree with both of the above. We moved our living room around to put a large tv at the head, line up dining chairs, and use my toddler's puzzle mat pieces as kneeling cushions. We entered together, used our home Holy Water font; stood, knelt, genuflected, sat. We made spiritual Communions.
    It was still sad, but I am so thankful that it wasn't just the NO being live-streamed.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    I completely understand your hesitations and questions of authenticity.

I suggest watching a TLM. Here is a site.

livemass.net

There is a 'missal' link that brings up the days prayers from top to bottom including readings, propers, prayers of priest and server, etc. I set it side by side to the streaming window. Its a new thing with side by side... used to be Latin/English... now its Video/Latin/English.
  • m_r_taylor
    I guess I feel that the ordinary way to join in the liturgical life of the Church, in the absence of Mass, is by means of the Divine Office/LOTH. That is an extension of the Mass, so to speak, an entrance into the prayer of the Church and into the prayer of Christ. The live-streamed Mass is a new thing, I still don't know how to feel about it.
  • CatherineS
    I don't like the idea of live-streaming, even in normal times, or perhaps more especially in normal times, when I think it interrupts the intimacy of the Mass (I don't want to be filmed receiving Communion! How weird!)

But it is currently the only contact I have with the Mass, and it is indulgenced, so I'm game. I act as if I am in a real church - wash my face, comb my hair, put on my veil, light the candles on my oratory table, and set the laptop on a chair nearby where I can see it without straining. I mostly listen rather than look, following along in my Missal and whispering the responses I am accustomed to saying. I kneel for the kneeling parts, sit for the sitting parts, and so on.

Ironically I appreciate the better concentration I can have when not distracted by choir dynamics, people talking, passing traffic, the insane heat, mosquitos, gunfire, painful liturgical shenanigans, or myriad other things.

If there are future opportunities to assist at real Mass, I'll run to go, but until then I'll do a combo of online Mass, the Divine Office, the rosary, and reading Scripture. The current situation may be necessary, but it reeks of diabolical shenanigans, and I pray every day that God have mercy on us.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    distracted by choir dynamics
    You probably mean something else ;-) but Jacob TerVeldhuis used to tell about his peers as a teenager saying "How do you stand classical music? First it's loud, then it's soft, then it's loud again …"
    Thanked by 2CatherineS Elmar
  • m_r_taylor
    From today's CDW decree:

The faithful should be informed of the beginning times of the celebrations so that they can prayerfully unite themselves in their homes. Means of live (not recorded) telematic broadcasts can be of help. In any event it remains important to dedicate an adequate time to prayer, giving importance above all to the Liturgia Horarum.
    Thanked by 2CCooze CHGiffen
  • CatherineS
    Liturgical music question inspired by livestreaming! What is the name of the short stretch of music sung immediately after the reading of the Gospel and before the homily, EF? I've never heard anyone sing there. It was not Gregorian chant, just something pretty.
  • In any event it remains important to dedicate an adequate time to prayer, giving importance above all to the Liturgia Horarum.

In context, does this mean that clerics must remember to pray their Office, or does it mean that live-streaming the Hours is to take precedence over live streaming the Mass?
  • a_f_hawkins
    I hestitate to say what it means, but what it shows is that CDWDS like its predecessors is not used to reacting fast.Where I live the Office of Readings combined with Morning Prayer is(normally) celebrated on Good Friday and Holy Saturday at 10am the time Mass would normally be said, it attracts 6-8 people. The Way of the Cross follows at 11am, it attracts 40-50 people. The Celebration of the Passion has a capacity crowd of about 130/140, some on chairs brought in from the garden.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    does it mean that live-streaming the Hours is to take precedence over live streaming the Mass?

Or... that praying LOTH takes precedence over watching a live-streamed Mass?
    Most of the recent decrees/guidance I've been seeing continue to make note of LOTH. I don't think it's a coincidence.
    I'd like to get into praying the Breviary. It is going to be my goal to at least read-pray the Office for Holy Week.

Incidentally, my parish priests have been streaming their morning and evening prayers, in addition to Stations, at least 1 daily Mass, and 1 Sunday Mass per language or rite (NO, NO-Spanish, TLM.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen