Fingering Suggestions ... Vierne CARILLON DE WESTMINSTER ...

• Working on the Carillon de Westminster and of course with small hands I am doing my best on the last three pages where there is a sustain A, in the left hand, with some challenging arpeggios in the left hand over that sustained A, the expansive intervals, that is. Any suggestions on how to handle these stretches in the left hand without damaging the hand? Thank you.
  • Schönbergian
    The construction of the piece doesn't really permit any changes in fingering as it uses all five fingers of the left hand at that point. You might try:

- Simplifying the harmonies to block chords, measure-by-measure, and eliminating all tension in the hand before adding the arpeggiation
    - Playing the upper line 2-3-4-5 without the use of the thumb, again without tension, and adding in the held A once that has been accomplished
    Thanked by 1lagunaredbob
  • [purple] Use the thumb and forefinger of the left hand to close the score, preventing further damage to your hand from attempting to play it. [/purple]
  • CharlesW
    Best suggestion yet. LOL. I do not have small hands but Vierne's must have been really large.
    Thanked by 1lagunaredbob
  • TCJ
    I was learning that awhile ago, but I was having difficulty with the stretch. I decided that my time was better spent working on other pieces of music which would be easier for me from a physical perspective. Now that I have a lot of extra time might be a good opportunity to take another crack at it.
    Thanked by 1lagunaredbob
  • CharlesW
    I have to take a practical approach when learning music. The Vierne and some of the Reger pieces are a definite challenge that can be fun to learn. I have decided that unless one does recitals and concerts, there may not be much of a practical use for such pieces in church music. While I enjoy the works of both composers, I spend more time on their "simpler" pieces that I can play on Sunday mornings. This is not to discourage you in any way from stretching yourself - no pun intended with the fingering - and learning new music.

• Thank you Charles, TCJ, Schönbergian, and NihilNominis, excellent feedback, lots of food for thought. Cheers and stay safe. Easter Blessings, Bob